Technical Intermittent power loss 1.4 T-jet 150

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent power loss 1.4 T-jet 150

X19 pilot

Intermittent power loss 1.4 T-jet 150 - Fixed

Just thought I would share my recent experience:

Last night SWMBO told me that her Bravo 1.4 150 T-jet was intermittently losing power. Lift off the accelerator and press it again and power was restored for a while, before happening again.

I read all sorts of possibilities on here, including an exhaust problem and a loose turbo pipe. I spoke to my mechanic who said it could be an airflow issue, but would need to see it rather than guess over the phone.

I put it on the scanner and the only fault code was relating to a brake switch, a quick call to my auto electrician and he told me that this could indeed be the problem.

£23 for a genuine new switch and the problem is resolved. I hope this helps someone in future (y)

Quite how the brake switch causes an acceleration issue is beyond me, but there you go!:D

Last edited:
Simple. ECU cuts the throttle when the brakes are applied. If the switch falsely reporting it's status, the ECU thinks the brakes are on and cuts power.

Repressing the throttle overrides this, and you can continue on.

Simple. ECU cuts the throttle when the brakes are applied. If the switch falsely reporting it's status, the ECU thinks the brakes are on and cuts power.

Repressing the throttle overrides this, and you can continue on.

Logic! I had never thought of it like this!

Just had to do my daughter's Seat. VW have deigned to fit a self destructing switch to their cars and even changed the simple original design to make fitting worse so you can easily destroy the new switch while fitting, so to be safe I had to buy two. Thankfully only £13 each!!! Now I have a spare.....

Thanks for this. I am having the same problem and the interesting thing for me is that it's more pronounced during my 1st drive of the day and diminishes as the trips increase and the day gets warmer. I am going to try this solution and see what happens.

Well last night I took out the brake switch and took it apart. All the internal contacts were looking fine. I adjusted and cleaned them and reassembled it. I tested it for continuity and it was behaving normal. I decided to put it back and checked the pedal travel in relation to the brake lights coming on. I noticed that the pedal travel was fractional before the lights came on. The brake pedal also had a little bit of play which you wouldn't pick up with your foot. Its noticeable by hand because its only in the direction of pulling the pedal up. It is solid in the direction of foot travel. So I decided to cut two small squares from an old wheel arch cover and used acrylic glue to stick them on as spacers between the switch and the pedal. I went with something that's easily reversible if need be. I also took the opportunity to use carb cleaner on my air line including the sensors. This morning I had a flawless drive. It really felt good to have the Bravo back to full health again.
Thank you team for sharing.

Did you replaced this part, @mofaya
%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BF-%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%88%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%B0-HERTH%2BBUSS+ELPARTS-70485...jpg

No i didn't replace it. I opened it, checked the contacts and cleaned them. i then reassembled the switch and it was working as expected. i have attached the picture of the internals. It has two contact sets. The top one is the brake and the bottom one is the cruise control. At rest the cruise control has continuity and when the switch is depressed, cruise control disengages and the brake engages.
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-14 at 9.23.41 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-14 at 9.23.42 PM.jpeg

The brake light switch causes this (as indicated).

it took me being parked outside the dealership with the car idling, catching the reflection of the brake lights in the dealership windows for the mechanic to figure this out (and that was about the time when I stopped visiting the dealership if it was avoidable)... cheap part, simple to install.

In my case, it was a spring inside wearing out/getting stuck. Replacing the part took care of it.

Thanks for this. I am having the same problem and the interesting thing for me is that it's more pronounced during my 1st drive of the day and diminishes as the trips increase and the day gets warmer. I am going to try this solution and see what happens.
Had a very similar issue, it was the break switch behind the brake pedal, simply remove and make sure it is pulled out to its fullest extent, or replace. but be careful as you can cut your hands to ribbons

Back