Technical intermittent howl from engine

Currently reading:
Technical intermittent howl from engine

dick van driver

Hi Everyone

Sorry, not had chance to introduce myself, I'm up to my neck in it at the moment...... gotta Ford KA with a broken heater, central heating has broke down, my lap top is acting up, just lost a filling and can't get to dentist til next week and now as if that wasn't enough my Fiat Scudo is on the blink.

I've got a 53 plate Scudo EL 1868cc

It's making an intermittent scream/howling type noise from the timing belt end of the engine. Doesn't sound like a belt slipping but sounds more like a dry/collapsing pulley bearing or something like that.

I'm not losing any water out of the cooling system and the heating works OK so I don't think it's the water pump. And loading up the electrical system doesn't seem to have any effect on it so I don't think it's the alternator.

It occurs both when the engine is idling or when driving along, it seems to start at random and lasts for a few seconds then stops as suddenly as it started.

All the electrics are running fine and there is no noticable effect on performance or fuel consumption.

Any ideas anyone?

It's not the heater fan btw, the fan was making a noise but I sorted that a few months ago.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

[edit] it's got 160,000 on the clock, had a new engine block at 75,000 cos some numb skull put unleaded in it then drove it [end]

Last edited:
It could be the auxillery belt tensioner. Do not spray oil into the pullies, this rots the belts. Instead drop some talcom powder down the back of the pullies. Do this one by one untill the noise changes or goes away. When this happens thats the one you need to replace.

It could be the auxillery belt tensioner. Do not spray oil into the pullies, this rots the belts. Instead drop some talcom powder down the back of the pullies. Do this one by one untill the noise changes or goes away. When this happens thats the one you need to replace.

OK will do, thanks for the quick reply (y)

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

dvd

Hmmmm? How odd? :confused:
It doesn't appear to be doing it any more?

Seems to be running fine now! I've just driven it 40 odd miles this morning and it didn't make the noise once.

I think the outside temperature was about 10'C when it last made the noise, it's just above freezing right now, I wonder if temperature has something to do with it?

dvd

On wet days and particularly after going through deep puddles I hear a screeching "howl"....I put this down to the Aux belt getting wet and slipping on pullys since it eventually dissappears

On wet days and particularly after going through deep puddles I hear a screeching "howl"....I put this down to the Aux belt getting wet and slipping on pullys since it eventually dissappears

Fingers crossed I hope you're right, it's too cold outside at the moment to muck about with engines and I'm gettin too old now anyway.

This van's gotta do over 100 mile a day all next week, and just as this cold snap sets in.

Think it'll be a good idea to chuck some blankets and rations in the back just in case I end up getting stranded somewhere.

dvd

This is possably the case, however if it is then it would also signify that the tensioner has reached it's max and has no more to give so it would be a good idea to replace the aux belt. They are only about a tenner and only take 15 mins to change.

Have a look at grank pulley has a damper built in and the rubber comes unbonded this makes a intermittent screaming noise worth a look if the alt belt jumps it can get in to the cambelt as it can jump and can bend valves not good had it happen to mine
Engine out job ?

Back