General Insurance Woes

Currently reading:
General Insurance Woes

blu73

The Force is strong with this one.
Staff member
Hi Peeps,

Having just got my new sei https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=36911 I have been ringing round insurance companies and to my dismay that are all saying that sei's were not available to buy in the UK on this reg (X-reg - registered in 2000) and as such that it is an import and thus no-one will give me a policy that allows me to drive other cars and its more expensive!!!

I did a HPI check before i went to view the car and there was no mention of it being an import. Has anyone else had this problem?
Please help, I want to drive her!!!!

seis where in production until 2003+

it could possibly be an import, but wouldnt really understand if it is as they where readily available over here

strange one :confused:

I thought that all seis were built in Tychy, Poland, the same as the cinqs?

The sei was definately being sold by Fiat UK in 2000, so that is rubbish. If it is HPI'd clear, then the insurance co.s' databases must be wrong. Have you told them that it isn't declared as being imported by the HPI check?

See your problem is your ringing them, if you speak to these people on the phone they dont even know what a car is anyway. Go on there web sites and get your insurance that way plus it will save you money. Try norwich union i'm with them and they were £450 cheaper than any other company i found.

Also mines a 2000 but V reg so they were being sold, Maybe its got something to do with the specific model, like SX or sporting or Active or something thats got them confused as certain ones only came out in certain years.

Try confused.com the insurance search engine, got my 899 cinq insurance for £80 a year tpft!

Check on the V5 if it says NEW AT FIRST REGISTRATION then it is not imported if it says something like PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED OVERSEAS then it may be an import from Southern Ireland (ROI) in which case you're stuffed because the insurance company will make you prove the spec is the same as a UK sei... and FIAT (GB) will not be able to give you the required letter stating as such, because they don't know..

If it is right hand drive and new at first registration, then it can only be a paralell import, in which case they should not be able to refuse you insurance because of that because that is agains EU law

HTH

The Negotiator said:
08/12/2000 according to records was date first registered.

Thats UK first registered... if it was imported from ireland or other country it could have been reg'd as early as 1998/9 RAC doesn't tell you if it was new at first registration does it?

Go to the AA.... got Fully Comp on 1999 Sei Sporting (S Reg) for £350

you can insure your car

go to http://www.nudonline.com (norwhich union)

click on a quote and fill in your details (i used dummy info with your number plate and it worked)

once youve got a quote with using a number plate you just click buy, norwhich union are the cheapest around and saved me a fortune this year

p.s. where did you buy this car i could have sworn i looked at buying this seicento a few months back - could just be me being daft

satty said:
What the hell £80....... you having a laugh. Either your over 50 or something isn't quite right.
Getting close to 30 now but great innit! (y) Think the actual insurance is through swinton or someone like that.

Back