insurance fronting

Currently reading:
insurance fronting

I pay nearly as much as you pay in a year per a month. £120 or thereabouts :eek:

Yes, but I earnt a good driving record and maximum no claims bonus over 19 years of driving. That's why my insurance is so cheap, plus my car is in a low insurance group, not worth much and not likely to get stolen. ;)

I still think £150 is too much considering! :p

Im quite happy with how much i pay for insurance. When i think about what some people have said. Why dont you get a newer smaller egined car doesnt exactly help.

I got quoted more to insure a new shape 1.2/1.4 Cors club then i did on my much more powerful and better specced Stilo.

For the power of the Stilo, she is in quite a lowinsurance group and is less then the equivilents from Ford or Vauxhall to insure.

The amount that i spend over my old 1.2 Micra if i were to be insuraing that (an extra £20 a month on Stilo), i make up for in fuel savings.

One thing that needs to be sorted out... Insurance groups. What the hell are they based on? Engine size? Speed? Value of car? Safety of Car?

Examples:

1.6 16v Ford Focus Mk1 (100bhp) 0 to 60 in 10 secs = IG 5

My 1.8 8v Renault Laguna mk1 (95bhp) 0 to 60 in 13.5 seconds = IG 7

1.9 M-jet Grande Punto Sporting (130bhp) 0 to 60 in around 9 seconds = IG 7

1.2 8v Fiat Punto 60SX (60bhp) 0 to 60 in 14 seconds = IG 4

1.4 16v Fiat Panda (100bhp) 0 to 60 in 9.5 seconds = IG 5

Someone explain how this works:confused:
Dont see why my laguna is 2 groups higher up that say the Panda 100bhp despite it being more powerful and faster than my lag?

Last edited:
It can vary with several factors, such as how easy is the car to nick, is the car highly tuneable, how much are repairs etc etc.

Thats why sometimes say small 1.2 Corsas can be more to insure then larger cars.

As i have already stated, I pay less on a 115bhp Stilo, then i would have done on a 79bhp Corsa :confused:

One thing that needs to be sorted out... Insurance groups. What the hell are they based on? Engine size? Speed? Value of car? Safety of Car?

All of those, plus how likely they are to be stolen, how often are they crashed, how much they cost to repair etc.

That's why you'll pay more for a Corsa that a Kia Picanto as the Corsa has a higher likelihood of being stolen or crashed. Then again, A Merc A class might have less chance of being crashed but will cost more to repair so you could pay more for that as well.

Therefore IG ratings are based on a whole number of factors and why it can be cheaper to insure a 1.2 Stilo for the same as a 1.0 Corsa.

Maybe insurance is only affordable to 17 yr olds on group 1 cars?

Doubt it. The Cinq SX I had when I was 17 cost 150% its value to insure (£1500 a year) TPFT. That was a group 2 car - although 2 years newer and the same car would be be a group 1 (due to the addition of an immobiliser). And that was not fronted in any way

I also had the fortune of being in a low risk area geographically.

TBH the only way Id imagine things could be iimproved is by imposing limits on engine size. That Cinq still had enough power for me to pose a serious risk to
other road users should I have desired to....but that definately isnt the be-all and end-all..

I would have said its about the same really to be honest. Sometimes it can vary on the make of the car, for instance here is what i got quoted with compare.com (or something like that):-

Based on 10,000 miles a year, 18 year old male, 1 years ncb, on drive parking.

1.2 Corsa (79bhp) new shape Club - £1550 a year,
1.2 Micra (79bhp) new shape SE - £1000 a year.

Both are similalry priced, but i presume that the Corsa is able to be tuned and done up more. Hence the reason why the insurance is more.

bigger cars cost more than little cars.(n) for the price of insurance on a punto GT i can get insured on only a 1.8 alfa 155. which is a little silly imho. surely the punto GT is more likely to be a higher risk? i don't want a small car:eek:
Also the putting parents on your insurance as named drivers can work to your advantage. i've put my parents on my insurance with elephant as named drivers and it's significantly reduced my premium. now paying £550 a year, 19 with 2 years no claims. last year was £650ish and when i first passed was £1350 with pass plus:eek: though i got my car very cheaply so made up for the insurance increase.
a friend of mine got investigated by insurance company because he was a named driver on his step dads policy yet he had a personalised numberplate lol.

Well i thought if i insure the car now in my name then ill get no claims bonus quicker and yes it maybe expensive but hopefully insurancerenewal ,ay be slightly cheaper, just as long as i dont crash like last year

its disgraceful :(

ontop of that ive just been put on an A Class 150 for a week due to grandparents needing me as a driver for a day and the insurance was £33 for a day ro £33 for a week. we chose a week. Whats it like for other people for shortperiods on policys like this?

but what happened to the panda? :chin:

Insurance groups?
That's one reason I drive a doblo. - Group 5.
I was looking at othe MPVs - Sharan was a group 15 (as were the other two clones).
My old honda civic was a group 9 (strange as it was always considered an old codger's car).
My very old PUG pickup was a group 18 - mainly based on the size of the engine. The insurer asked the size of the engine, I said "it's a 2.3 diesel" - ahh, says he, but is it just under or just over?
2.3 & under would have been group 9, this was a thimbleful over the 2.3 so cost me an additional £900 to insure - because I wasn't a tradesman.
Not sure if it's good or bad but insurance has now relaxed on pickups as they have become a fashion accessory rather than a work tool.

At the end of the day, the insurance companies are screwing the driver every which way, a lot of the money is being creamed to pay out for accidents where the other party is uninsured (I had one sideswipe me, got him on video admitting to having no insurance but police dragged their heels so never caught him, my insurance paid out almost £3k doing up my motor) or paying out to cover the insured cretin who thinks he is the safest driver on the road - but isn't.
So, of course, the moment they sniff the tiniest bit of dodgyness, they will refuse to pay.

another question to throw into the debate.

Those of you say under the age of 20 who have bought brand new cars etc. Does it seem as though insurance is cheaper on new cars than say a banged up old corsa?

Not when I bought my first new car. 21 y/o & paying £6.5k for a new car - not a hot hatch etc but a sensible, smart car.
I had 3 years' NCB from driving old bangers on TPFT 7 was given an additional 15% off for my advanced licence.
In the end, I went back to the car dealer to cancel the order, telling them I couldn't afford insurance AND a car so they sorted me a really cheap 5 year deal through their own insurers.

lolol mams car lol can do alot with them lol my mate drives a 05 clio and wheel spins n dose all tht crap lol and his mam took the car off him lololololol

i paid for my car myself so theres no way im geting it took off me lol

i don't think i have ever read a post with so many lol's in it. Seriously, it isn't funny after a while ;) :D

newer cars are safer and generally in good mechanical condition.coupled with the fact people paying lot for a car would be more cautious(generally) than an old banger makes them less of a risk

more or less what I said to the insurance company - I've just forked out a fortune for a new motor so I'm hardly likely to get popped up & wrap it around a lamp-post am I?

But I was under 25 so was considered a big risk.
Strange how I didn't notice much reduction when I reached 25 with 8 years' NCB.
In fact, my premiums never really seem to go down, always bubbling around the £200 mark, I have full NCB now so I tend to see slight increases due to market increases in premiums as insurance companies claw back losses - rather than tagging bad drivers 'till they have repaid their losses, companies take from all their drivers.

Back