insurance for 17" alloys

Currently reading:
insurance for 17" alloys

Aid1987

im 19 on my mums insurance, but to go on my own itll cost ova 2 grand (with 17s) coz appartley if ur wheels are more thn 2 inchs bigger than standard the insurce is jacked up! anyone suggest good companies to insure with who dont mind mods or dont charge a fortune, ive tried sme companies already. ie adrian flux just wanted to compare!

lose the wheels and have £££ cus in theroy lets say they want $1200 for standard that means ur paying £800 to have wheels on ur car?

so by the times ur earned 5 years ncb you've also paid £4000 just to have alloys on your car.

daft isn't it

I think they are just hiding behind the stereotyping tar brush.
both my mum and my dads cars have non factory wheels, on teh audi they are 18" instead of 17" but are still audi parts, on the saab they are 17" instead of the std 17" but are aftermarket parts.
so who pays more??? well my dad does on the audi, because they are bigger, even though they are factory parts, and DID come fitted on some models with the same engien (3.0quattro). my mum pays the same as what she would without, HOWEVER her excess is £350 instead of £150 for accidental damage :-(

Last edited:
What I've been told on this subject time and time again is that if it is covered by the standard factory warranty on the car it's NOT an after market item so it doesn't need to be declared.

Back