Insurance advice

Currently reading:
Insurance advice

Hemmaty

I own a 1.2 Fiat Punto Mk2.
My father owns a 999cc VW Lupo (it's a sardine can).

Can anyone please help us get the best insurance quote?

Is it best if I put my car in my dad's name, so he's the registerd owner of both vehciles and he then can put me as a 2nd driver? Currently I'm getting quotes for my own of around £3.8+K. (I'm 17 years of age, just passed!!)

Also any good insurance companies?

I simply just want the best advice as to how I would get the cheapest quote.

Thanks

no because what you suggest is insurance fronting as your father cant be the main driver of the 2 cars can he?
quote]

Yes he can; people can own more than one car for all manner of reasons, and be main or sole driver on all of them:D

yes but thats not why the OP was suggesting it was it? is his father suddenly going to start using his car as a main driver? i dont think so

yes but thats not why the OP was suggesting it was it? is his father suddenly going to start using his car as a main driver? i dont think so

Maybe not, but as far as the insurance company is concerned his father could still be on the policy as the main driver. I'm not sure if the term `main driver' has ever been defined; does the main driver have to do most of the driving and if so, what proportion?

Truth is that people lie about insurance as readily as they lie about the speed they were going. "85 mph? Who Me??". My daughter has a ratbag of a car worth bugger all, but as far as the insurers are concerned she lives at home, not in a flat in the nearest town. Why? Because even though the insurers risk is no greater at the flat address, if it was down on the insurance form as her main address, their postcode system would load the insurance premium by over £200. Why should they do this? The excess on her TPF&T policy is greater than the market value of the car. City street lights means it's safer driving there at night than out here in the country, but the insurers would still squeeze more money out of her, not because it was justified, but because they could.

Maybe not, but as far as the insurance company is concerned his father could still be on the policy as the main driver. I'm not sure if the term `main driver' has ever been defined; does the main driver have to do most of the driving and if so, what proportion?

Truth is that people lie about insurance as readily as they lie about the speed they were going. "85 mph? Who Me??". My daughter has a ratbag of a car worth bugger all, but as far as the insurers are concerned she lives at home, not in a flat in the nearest town. Why? Because even though the insurers risk is no greater at the flat address, if it was down on the insurance form as her main address, their postcode system would load the insurance premium by over £200. Why should they do this? The excess on her TPF&T policy is greater than the market value of the car. City street lights means it's safer driving there at night than out here in the country, but the insurers would still squeeze more money out of her, not because it was justified, but because they could.

all well and good but my advice is 100% certain to be trouble free.
your welcome to play semantics but given the op's statement my post stands true

if your dad does the highest mileage in the car, and if you do not use the car for commuting/ business use, then you should be fine to have your dad as main driver.

Custard is right though. Companies are really tightening down on insurance fronting. It's up to you whether you want to take the chance

I spent 4 years on my mums insurance and 1 claim i rolled the car and my mother had a £1000 worth of ice in the car which got stolen whilst car was in the middle of a field (f***ing TWOCers). She let me do it as a hobby on her car (1.2 sporting punto) with other minor mods. Now they had every chance to raise a fronting issue but they did'nt. They were very awkward about the ICE because they didnt belive that i could fit three amps and two subs in a punto so i sent them pics , but still no mention of fronting. One thing that i would say is at the time it was very borderline as to who the main driver was but how does the insurance proove it Either way. The only way that they can get you on fronting is if it is written in the policy terms that if they suspect fronting then the Insurance will be Invalid.
I have never personally read this but then again i dont really check my policy with a fine tooth comb.
I would also like to say that i would question the Legallity of such a policy term but this is Great Britain the Law always favours those making the money over those paying to ensure the Elasticity of our financial services. But do we get a better deal.:confused:

Back