Technical Insufficient oil pressure warning

Currently reading:
Technical Insufficient oil pressure warning

Hi

I have heard of engines where piston/bore damage has occurred due to lubrication failure and localised overheating. The metal-to-metal contact can result in enormous frictional drag, which a running engine might just about be able to overcome. After stopping and cooling down, this friction could be so high that the starter motor is incapable of turning over the engine.

The damaged injector tip could be either the cause or the effect of something going seriously wrong in one cylinder. Maybe they could put an endoscope style camera down the injector hole to check for piston damage or bore scoring ?

Hopefully, today they will start to remove the cylinder head and see what the outcome is from there and the way forward.

Well today I called Fiat garage for an update. So far engine stripped down and inspected, all the guy could tell me was a new engine and turbo is needed. If the turbo failed could that cause the engine to seize? I can understand the turbo failing after the loss of oil pressure. I feel as though I'm not getting the full story. They have had my van for over 6 weeks now. :confused:

Has there been any progress with this fault regarding solving the problem.
My 2013 Ducato 130 suffered a similar problem this summer, engine suddenly died at about 40 mph, pulled into a lay by very quickly, and it wouldn't turn over on starter motor. Was recovered to my local garage who couldn't turn the engine over, they dropped the sump and found no 4 piston cracked and seized! Van had done 94000 miles with a full service history.

Obtained a recon engine from Engine Swap.Com in Kent, about £2.8 k and my local independent garage replaced it for about £1.6 k. That included new oil pump, one new injector and the rest reconditioned and tested, all new belts, glow plugs, fluids ,gaskets etc.
My garage said with number four injector faulty it could have been overfuelling that cylinder and that was a partial cause of the problem.
Old engine sent back to Engine Swap.com and was refunded £500.

Van now runs perfectly and sounds lovely, and have just had an oil and filter change after 500 miles as recommended.

I have a 2018 (2.3 150hp) Ducato with the vertical style bar graph and my experience of the amber low pressure warning light was as follows:

1) Oil and filter change carried out by Fiat agent 1 year after purchase from new. Amber light had never been seen before and oil level bar graph worked perfectly.

2) Got home from after having oil changed, checked oil level and it was about 3-4mm below top notch on dipstick, so added bit more oil to bring level up to top notch.

3) Didn't drive vehicle for few days, but at next start up, no sign of bar graph on dash and amber light on. Red oil light went out straight away at start up.

4) Assumed wonky sensor and went on trip (about 300km) . At start ups after several stops along way, bar graph back and no sign of amber light. Red light went out as expected.

5) Got home and checked oil level about two days later and it was about 5-6mm or so above top notch dip stick.

6) Got me wondering if oil level was too high and if in fact amber light was something to do with oil level and not pressure as stated in owners manual. Every other vehicle I have seen or driven that has a oil can with a wavy line underneath is related to oil level and not pressure.

7) Carefully (very) partially undid sump plug and let about cup (or maybe a bit more) of oil come out. Got oil back to fractionally below top notch on dip stick.

8) Start up, bar graph showed max and no sign of amber light.

9) On all subsequent yearly oil changes, I now initially fill oil to about 12mm below top notch, leave for a few hours to let oil level stabilise and then add a bit more oil to bring level oil to just below top notch and have never seen amber light since and bar graph works perfectly.

Vehicle has now done about 27,000 km and goes well and have never seen amber light since. Normal red oil warning light goes out straight away at start up and bar graph works perfectly although I still check oil using dipstick.

So, I am still left wondering if amber light is related to oil level and not pressure, and if sump is even slightly over full, it upsets the level sensor.

All very strange.

Well today I picked up my van after 3 monthsin the Fiat Professional garage. On inspection #4 injector was found blown, valve snapped and embedded in top of piston, piston bore full of gouges. End result a complete new engine. Luckily Fiat Italy supplied an engine, turbo and injectors for a fraction of the cost. Still got an eye watering bill from fiat garage.

Attachments

• 20210930_094646.jpg
    20210930_094646.jpg
    846.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211022_090936.jpg
    20211022_090936.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 20211022_090949.jpeg
    20211022_090949.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20211022_090949.jpg
    20211022_090949.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • 20211022_091800.jpg
    20211022_091800.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 20211022_104511.jpg
    20211022_104511.jpg
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 38
Ouch. Thanks for the update. Not a lot of miles, and not a complex fault to warrant a blown engine and turbo! Nice of Fiat to contribute as I guess you were out of warrantee?
Though that injector 4 looks "smashed" rather than just fallen apart?

Ouch. Thanks for the update. Not a lot of miles, and not a complex fault to warrant a blown engine and turbo! Nice of Fiat to contribute as I guess you were out of warrantee?
Though that injector 4 looks "smashed" rather than just fallen apart?
Yes, I was out of warranty. My local Fiat garage were useless. Fiat Italy were great. They supplied engine, turbo and injectors for £3500 instead of £10500 plus tax.

Yes, I was out of warranty. My local Fiat garage were useless. Fiat Italy were great. They supplied engine, turbo and injectors for £3500 instead of £10500 plus tax.
Better than nothing, but the a BASE VAN aka commercial has 3yr warrantee - but if sold to motorhome trade for conversion it drops to 2yr for the same vehicle. Why/what no idea.
Can you name the garage that was poor or give a county at least?
Did you chase fiat italy, or did they?
The time taken was a lot not to have the van but guess its fixed now so enjoy!

Better than nothing, but the a BASE VAN aka commercial has 3yr warrantee - but if sold to motorhome trade for conversion it drops to 2yr for the same vehicle. Why/what no idea.
The Fiat garage opened a technical case with Fiat, although they have still not told me why they done that , what the found or who made the decision. Once Fiat Italy were involved things started to move. Until I picked the van up yesterday nobody had told me anything about the damage to the #4 piston or cylinder. All they would say was engine was seized due to oil starvation. The garage was a profession franchise just outside Glasgow.

The base vehicle has a 2 year warranty from Fiat (the manufacturer) full stop. In the UK, vehicles imported by and sold through a Fiat UK authorised dealer have the benefit of a third year dealer backed warranty arranged and supported by Fiat UK (the importer, a different entity, not the manufacturer).

Vehicles sold directly to motorhome converters by Fiat in Italy through the motorhome chassis scheme are delivered directly by the manufacturer, and Fiat UK have no involvement, so a UK dealer's only obligation in those circumstances is to honour the manufacturers' 2 year warranty, which they are obligated to do as the authorised Fiat dealer network for the UK.

Conversely, my (PVC) motorhome was ordered as a base van through a UK Fiat dealer and subsequently converted after delivery by a UK motorhome converter, and came with the additional 3rd year UK dealer backed warranty.

Clear as mud? :D

Back