Installing a Sony CDX-DAB6650 DAB in a MkII Punto

Currently reading:
Installing a Sony CDX-DAB6650 DAB in a MkII Punto

BigJohnD

I'm looking to replace the standard radio cassette in my '02 MkII Punto with a DAB Sony CDX-DAB6650.

What problems should I expect, particularly with the wiring connectors? Will it be straight swap, or do I need to find an adapter? Are Sony and Punto connectors compatible?

A DAB aerial is supplied so that shouldn't be a problem.

You do indeed,

i cant remember off the top of my head what the code is but the facia is £13.49 from halfords... but i think you can get them for about a fiva on ebay.

i'm pretty sure you dont need an iso lead

when it comes to problems, assuming you have the keys to get the old ones out. (standard twin prong keys) the only other problems you might have is an issue with space.
Assuming the DAB part of the radio isn't built in there is more than lightly to be an external box? (correct me if i'm wrong)

if this is the case then there may be a very small amount of room in the back of the radio.

that should be the only problems...

Last edited:
I have the fascia panel (I paid £9.99 in Motorworld) and the removal tool. The Sony is supplied with an internal DAB aerial if the roof mounted is not suitable. At the moment, I'm not able to find out any more detail, and I've read conflicting reports about installing DAB. It seems very hit or miss if the existing external aerial works.

there may be a very small amount of room in the back of the radio.
That's the sort of thing which worries me. However, the lad in my local Motorworld reckoned replacing a Blaupunkt with a Sony should be straightforward. Let's hope he's right.

The Sony should arrive on Wednesday…

The Sony arrived today.

Installation couldn't have been easier. The Blaupunkt popped out, the connectors for the existing speakers and power plugged using the supplied adaptor (all suitably polarised to ensure unique fitting), and the existing aerial plugged in using another adaptor.

The extra cables fitted into the void under the topof the dash.

In five minutes, music was coming from the CDs drive and Radio 4 from the FM tuner.

But NO DAB! I need to install the internal DAB aerial, which adheres vertically to the inside of the windscreen. Threading the aerial cable under the A post trim and under the dash looks fiddly.

Also, I need to investigate powering the Sony from the ignition, as the display is illuminated all the time with the live feed. It looks easy enough to sort out… Sony installation details (Famous last words!)

yeah it litrally is that simple, find the red and yellow cables and do the "sony switch" all this does litrally,from the wires coming from the car, and i cant remember which order so correct me if i'm wrong, but, the Yellow is the permanant power (on even if the car is engine is off) and the Red is the ignition on, ie, only on when the car is turned on.
going to the head unit : the red is the power and the yellow is the erm... something else... so switching the red and yellow around just switches from perm to ignition power... apart from you already knew that didn't you...

with the arieal... yeha i'm to scared to start taking apart my dash, it's why my amp still isn't installed... so cant help you with that one.

glad the player went in alright though:)

Owen

Hi, Owen,

I've tried the swapping over of the red and yellow cables, which is suggested in the installation instructions and very easy, but IT HAS NO EFFECT on the Sony CDX-DAB6650. As far as I can see, there is no easily accessible ignition key controlled supply to the head unit - both feeds are uncontrolled.

Also if the uncontrolled live feed is switched off or disconnected, the until will reset itself to the factory defaults.

The way to turn off the CDX-DAB6650 is to hold down the OFF button for 4 or 5 seconds. The display will go blank.

All that's left now is to install the secondary aerial, which as you say, involves the scary task of threading the cable under the dash somehow.

BigJohnD said:
The way to turn off the CDX-DAB6650 is to hold down the OFF button for 4 or 5 seconds. The display will go blank.

Oh Man, thats ghey, but to be honest thats what i have to do with my alpine.

Usually i dont leave it in the car so i just pop it out, and dont turn it off. coz i'm hardcore and dont get intimedated by off buttons...:slayer::rolleyes:

OXCiD3 said:
Oh Man, thats ghey, but to be honest thats what i have to do with my alpine.

Usually i dont leave it in the car so i just pop it out, and dont turn it off. coz i'm hardcore and dont get intimedated by off buttons...:slayer::rolleyes:
Kewl…

I've installed the internal aerial and DAB reception is fine.

After groping around in and under the dashboard for about half an hour, I could find no route for the aerial cable. So it comes out of the top of fascia surround, lies across the top of the dash, runs along the bottom of the windscreen and up the nearside of it, jammed into the trim.

The aerial itself is quite discreet, and seems to stick well to glass.

I never knew there were so many stations; it seems there are more than on my small domestic DAB radio.

Radio Merseyside was worth listening to tonight!

Back