Technical Install a 123 ignition on spider 1800

Currently reading:
Technical Install a 123 ignition on spider 1800

Fiat124idf

Hello everyone

I plan to install a 123 ignition on my 124 spider sport 1800 , I did that on most of my cars so I'm pretty used to it, but this time I have a problem

When I check the distributor I can see 2 gree wires coming from it :

Screenshot_20230331_013228_Gallery.jpg

They are not the wires coming to the condensators , it goes directly inside the distributor

Someone has an idea of what they are ?

Thanks

As S130 has suggested, maybe remove the distributor cap and check inside?

I suspect you'll find that there are 2 sets of contact breaker points and 2 condensers (capacitors) - this was a system used on some American spec. 124 Spiders. The purpose iirc was to improve cold starting/running and afaik worked as follows:-
One set of c/b points was for cold starting and resulted in the ignition timing being advanced to 10* btdc, the other set of c/b points was for when the engine had warmed up a bit and resulted in the ignition timing reverting to the normal (for the U.S. models) setting of 5* btdc.
The changeover between the 2 sets of c/b points was controlled by a relay which received a signal from a coolant temperature sensor to show when the engine had warmed sufficiently.

If you trace the 2 green wires back from the distributor, they should lead to this 'ignition changeover relay' (I'm not sure of it's location).

The distributor/system can be modified to run on just one set of contact breaker, same as was used on the earlier cars - just connect one of the 2 green wires coming from the distributor direct to the c/b terminal on the ignition coil, bypassing the changeover relay (you could possibly use the existing wiring, just disconnect at this relay and join the appropriate 2 wires). I'd suggest setting the ignition timing to 10* btdc, as using the 5*btdc (U.S spec setting) can leave the engine feeling sluggish and unresponsive.

Last edited:
Hello and very sorry for the late reply, I had many other big issues on my other cars and completely forgot to answer, and didn't touch the Spider yet

I just opened the distributor and you are right 👍, the 2 wires pass inside the distributor then go outside with 2 different wires color to connect with the 2 condensers

Thank you a lot for this explanation !
I never encountered this kind of system before so I had no clue what it was

But if I'm not mistaken, If i install the 123 ignition on the car, I wouldn't need this relay anymore because the electronic ignition would have his proper curve, so i could just disconnect the 2 wires from this relay , am I wrong ?

Thank you again

Hello

So i installed the 123 ignition yesterday, followed the procedure , and the engine won't start ..

I bought the Haynes manual to have the diagram to try to locate this cold start relay :

20230524_020652.jpg
20230524_020652.jpg

But I'm not sure where it is

That's the 1rst time I have trouble installing a 123 ignition on a car, I installed nearly 20 of them on many different models, so i guess there is something happening with this " dual point distributor " which is messing with it

If somebody can help me locate this relay and try to bypass it or whatever it needs to start the car

Thank you

Back