Technical Input shaft seal

Currently reading:
Technical Input shaft seal

I'm thinking about starting to collect the parts I'll need to replace the clutch on the Younger Mrs S's "Rasputin", who is a 2013 flavour, 1.2 Pop.

I'll look at the input shaft bearing when the gearbox is off and change it if I have to... but regardless of whether the bearing is okay, I'm still inclined to replace the seal, due to its age.

Is the seal easy to replace from inside the clutch housing (i.e without separating the gearbox from the housing, which I think you would need to do when changing the bearing)? I think/recall seeing someone changed theirs (may have been a Stilo though) without any further dismantling, once the clutch housing was off the car.

Does anyone knoe the part number, so I can hunt down a replacement? Or is a Fiat OE one not too dear/may as well use one of those?

Ralf S.

I'm thinking about starting to collect the parts I'll need to replace the clutch on the Younger Mrs S's "Rasputin", who is a 2013 flavour, 1.2 Pop.

I'll look at the input shaft bearing when the gearbox is off and change it if I have to... but regardless of whether the bearing is okay, I'm still inclined to replace the seal, due to its age.

Is the seal easy to replace from inside the clutch housing (i.e without separating the gearbox from the housing, which I think you would need to do when changing the bearing)? I think/recall seeing someone changed theirs (may have been a Stilo though) without any further dismantling, once the clutch housing was off the car.

Does anyone knoe the part number, so I can hunt down a replacement? Or is a Fiat OE one not too dear/may as well use one of those?

Ralf S.
She’s a 2013 flavour 😂🥰 I love that! If your going to take the gearbox out (not something I’ve done yet) so I can’t answer your question…. Buuuut : replace every other seal! If you don’t you could regret it … as per my experience

Buuuut : replace every other seal! If you don’t you could regret it … as per my experience
On most normal cars, crank, input, drive shaft seals rarely leak, so you wouldn't change them typically is the gearbox was off.

As I saido
On most normal cars, crank, input, drive shaft seals rarely leak, so you wouldn't change them typically is the gearbox was off.
as I said: in my experience.
You go to all that trouble of having the gearbox out to do the clutch … then a seal goes & fails … because? It’s OLD!
Maybe you wouldn’t but I would! As I said it’s all from my personal experience

I recently replaced the clutch on my Stilo and that had an oil seepage from the bell-housing, so I was expecting to replace a seal at the time. The leak turned out to be along the join between the crankshaft oil seal frame, and the sump. The sump has nothing to attach to along that end, so the frame has a flange on it, which the sump bolts to/seals against.

Anyhow, the "seal" around the crank was actually fine. I could have removed the frame, gasket-sealed it to buggeration and then re-fitted it, but I had a new seal already so I fitted a new one.

I'm fairly confident that the seals can last a long time (205,000m for my crank seal) but the 500 has a bit of a reputation, so if it's simple (?) then it may be a good precaution. The gearbox is fine with no rattles or clanking etc. and no leaks... so it probably doesn't *need* anything other than new gear oil.. but anyhow, any advice/links to how the seal is changed, and a part number would be handy.

Ralf S.

I'd go one further, on any other car than a fiat (or probably any italian car), most people would think you are mad for changine crank or input shaft seals willy-nilly. Unheard of on proper cars unless it's found to leak.

Well here's mine....

Ralf S.

Attachments

• GerrardMOT.png
    GerrardMOT.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 44
Back