General Input appreciated on 500 purchase

Currently reading:
General Input appreciated on 500 purchase

TrevC

Established member
My wife retired recently, and decided that her 18 plate Renault Captur is bigger and newer than we need for a second car. She also now does far less grandchild transport. As used prices are high at present, it's probably a good time to sell it and buy a smaller, older car as a runaround and release some cash.
We've had two 500s in the last decade, and I've been a forum member since 2011, so I've picked up a fair bit of wisdom. However, we've never run one beyond 6 years old, so buying an older one is unfamiliar territory. I know about most of the common problems, and am confident I could fix things like broken door handles and hatch wiring myself.
Having owned both twinair and 1.2 examples, we prefer the power and sound of the TA, but I'm conscious that if (when) problems occur, the knowledge base for the 1.2 will make repair easier.
We aim to spend £4-6k, this seems to buy cars varying from 2009 to 2015, depending on mileage etc., in our preferred Lounge or Sport trim. Current thinking is to buy a car from a fairly local trader, for some consumer rights, and go for one with a service history and fresh MoT with no advisories.
I'll probably throw in several questions for feedback, but to stop this long post getting longer, I'll kick off with just one:
Older but low mileage, or newer with average/slightly higher mileage?

Honestly don't buy a older car unless you can fix it yourself, even at 6 years old there's many bits that may need early replacement once you get to 8/10 then unless most bits have been already replaced it could get very expensive if you can't DIY
Newer high miles would-be my option

That's my instinct. I've done a fair bit of car fixing over the years, so the more straightforward tasks don't scare me, but now I'm closer to 70 than 60, I don't fancy replacing a rusty sump pan or rear suspension beam, which are likely to be age rather than mileage related.

That's my instinct. I've done a fair bit of car fixing over the years, so the more straightforward tasks don't scare me, but now I'm closer to 70 than 60, I don't fancy replacing a rusty sump pan or rear suspension beam, which are likely to be age rather than mileage related.
Exactly! I’ve not replaced my sump as yet .. as the thought of dropping the manifold & possible broken studs scares the crap out of me!

Yes.. newer with higher mileage is probably a safer bet than older with lower mileage.

The Younger Mrs S's Rasputin has had an interesting life previously... it seems that each of the previous owners has managed to bend one part of it or another.. now that it's getting older, all the various paint repairs are becoming more apparent.

Just check the big stuff.. clutch and the electrics all work. Everything else is fairly small/cheap/light/accessible so can be fixed without too much pain (physical, mental or financial).

Ralf S.

John, had a look at the white car's MoT history, and agree that it doesn't look cared for - we will probably look for something a little less "we'll used".
Ralf, those are wise words.
We return from holiday today, so next week will have a look at a couple of local trader possibilities, up for 5k or less, 12-14 reg and around 60,000 miles.
There is the odd private sale, but they seem to be asking unrealistic prices, close to dealer's retail. I would be prepared to buy privately, but it would have to be at least £1k less than a dealer for me to risk the lack of consumer protection. If I see one that really appeals, I'll submit the registration to Webuyanycar to get a baseline.

Go for the newest you can afford, full history.

They made improvements over time, an older car, even with very low mileage will cost to maintain.

A newer, looked after car with high mileage is a better prospect, especially as a second car

I'd think about a Panda, easy access with 5 doors, same drivetrain, they tend to be better looked after, it seems.

Less of a shock from a larger car because its all round practicality for its size

Yes Richard, we will get as new as we can, condition/history dependent.
The Panda is a non-starter I'm afraid as the styling of the 500 is a powerful draw. We've had a couple, so know what to expect with the practicality.

Yes Richard, we will get as new as we can, condition/history dependent.
The Panda is a non-starter I'm afraid as the styling of the 500 is a powerful draw. We've had a couple, so know what to expect with the practicality.
This is the kind of thing we are looking at. I know it's 10 years old, but there are plenty that are older!

At 10 years on UK roads there is a fair probability of chassis work being due within 18 months..

Its too expensive to just 'throwaway' when the rear beam fails.. front suspension is probably a £500 job also.

I purposely bought a 2018 with 60k.. (and MANUAL AIRCON..) accepting that in 5 years time it will be
' living on borrowed time'

That ad : for a company that sell a lot of 500's.. its pretty poor

Perhaps they know it will sell with minimum effort

Our 2010 500c is a lovely car. It’s been extremely reliable and has covered 85000 miles. It still looks like a new car and has no rust on the bodywork.

However, we have now changed all of the front and rear suspension. Other failures include door handles and boot wiring loom (3 repairs). Stereo is becoming erratic and will need replacing soon.

Everything else has been wear and tear and service items that you’d expect from any car of this age and mileage.

Rear beam has been cleaned and under sealed every couple of years and is fine.

At 10 years on UK roads there is a fair probability of chassis work being due within 18 months..

Its too expensive to just 'throwaway' when the rear beam fails.. front suspension is probably a £500 job also.

I purposely bought a 2018 with 60k.. (and MANUAL AIRCON..) accepting that in 5 years time it will be
' living on borrowed time'

That ad : for a company that sell a lot of 500's.. its pretty poor

Perhaps they know it will sell with minimum effort
Did you mean the ad or the car is poor?
We will probably get a newer one than that, although the recent cambelt change and fairly good MoT history were an attraction.

Oh and yes, manual aircon is almost a must have, and is fortunately most common, although someone on here recently claimed that the problem with the ACC had been solved on post 2012 cars.

Oh and yes, manual aircon is almost a must have, and is fortunately most common, although someone on here recently claimed that the problem with the ACC had been solved on post 2012 cars.
Update on progress. Looked at 3 cars today:
64 plate 2015 500s, £5700, 65000 miles. This had some nice extras, sunroof and TFT speedo, also climate control (dubious, but it worked OK.) Unfortunately the interior had been kippered by a smoking owner, who had also burnt a hole in the drivers seat so we didn't bother driving it.
64 plate 2014 Lounge, £5250, 63000 miles. Very clean but patchy service history (though the oil looked clean). Both doorhandles were broken, but replacements were in the car waiting to be fitted. A test drive showed it drove OK, but there were a couple of warning lights on, and a suspension rattle, and the a/c didn't work, so we left it.
14 plate 2014 Lounge, £5495, 55000 miles. Unlike the other 2, this is from a (Suzuki) main dealer, who we have bought from before. They give a proper 6 month warranty. Very clean inside and out, just a couple of minor paint chips and small scuffs on 2 of the alloys. It drove nicely, with no clocks or rattles. The recent service history is incomplete, but it hasn't covered many miles in the last couple of years, and they said they would service it and change the cambelt. They have attended to MoT advisories. Annoyingly the spare key is missing. We are chewing this one over.

Yeah, we were more comfortable with a garage, obviously you pay more.
I looked underneath all 3 cars as best I could. None of them seemed to have particularly rusty rear beam/spring cups, and none had damaged sills or pinch welds from bad jacking. I couldn't see the sumps for a rust inspection.

Back