Technical Inner CV replacement advice

Currently reading:
Technical Inner CV replacement advice

bean

types his title here
Hi

I have to replace my inner CV N/S this weekend as its droning like mad and i can't hear my radio now!

I have a replacement driveshaft ready to swap it with. As it is the inner CV to be replaced am i right in thinking i need to drain the oil from gearbox beforehand?

Do i need to take off the hub nut or can it be done without this?

Also i am after any other advice to make the swap as plain sailing as possible.

Thanks

Nath

hello, I've just done this myself.
if its a 899cc then I think you have to empty the gearbox, if its a sporting, like mine, then no, you don't have to take the cup off either. I've just put new arms on the front of mine so I didnt want to risk damaging the rubber dust covers on the ball joints, so I undid the bolts that hold the arm onto the car,undid the break caliper and held it well out of the way, cut the clips that hold the boot on and undid the bolts that hold the suspension onto the hub.
This does seem like a lot of bother, but you can spin the whole hub assembly,still with the drive shaft on around work on it.
The other, proper way to do it is to take the hub of, and I've only got a crude balljoint splitter that will bugger the dust covers on the new arms (believe it or not, I had to buy 2 new arms because the dust covers were split!) so this is the way I did it without damaging them.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, i think my inner cv cup is all cut up too so i guess that means i will have to drain the gearbox oil?

Mine is a 1242 cinq but if it means i wont have to undo the hub nut then that would be great!

Thanks

Nath

Thanks for the help,

looks like i am doing it tomorrow evening now! Should i get a hub nut or should i be able to swap driveshafts without doing this?

Thanks

Nath

90% sure, had the engine out a while back and the garage said how worn they were but couldn't get a replacement in time before engine went back in.

Thanks for all your help.

Hopefully working on it this evening.

Nath

Right,

changed the NS driveshaft yesterday and the noise is still there!!! Maybe it is the OS one then?

When i turn left the noise stops but going stright or right its very loud, a droning, push the clutch in and the noise is still there when moving.

Any ideas? Should i replace the OS driveshaft?

Thanks

nath

Back