General Influencd of city mode steering on fuel consumption

Currently reading:
General Influencd of city mode steering on fuel consumption

softa

Hi, I just wonder if there is any difference (how significant) in fuel consumption if the city mode power steering is on (somebody mentioned something about this in another thread), as my wife drives the car with the city mode on, non stop. Thanks.

I think it does make a difference due to it using more electricity from what others have said on this forum before, but I haven't noticed it myself as the only times I use it is when parrallel parking (or if iv got sore arm muscles :eek: ).

You could aske her to try it without for a week and see if it makes a real difference or not.

I used to have my City button on all the time and took it off for a week to see how it went. I seemed to use more petrol without it on! Something to do with the accelerator though - it's a lot more responsive (the car) with City button off. It does say in the manual something about City button and acceleration though.

guessing it would make the accelerator less sensitive, to make it easier doing low speed manuovers.

i thought it switches off automatically at 40mph anyways?

The more eletrical current the car needs the higher the load on the alternator which reduces the amount of power going to the wheels.

ergo, if doing 30mph in third gear on a flat road with it on your revs are higher
than if your doing 30mph in third gear on a flat road without it on.

full load on the alternator should be reducing your peak power approx 5bhp.

arc said:
guessing it would make the accelerator less sensitive, to make it easier doing low speed manuovers.

i thought it switches off automatically at 40mph anyways?
The steering ecu should be turning off around 35-40mph, there have been cases where this fails to switch off and drivers are forced to replace the steering eletrical motor as it burns out all together.

The best way to describe it is pressing the accelerator with City on makes it accelerate slower than with it off. When you turn it off you seem to get some sort of power boost or bhp - I don't know how to describe it! Seems to fit with what Catseyes is saying.
Plus, when my battery was duff and I replaced it, my fuel comsumption rose a fair bit suggesting that because the alternator was working hard charging it up it was using petrol somehow.
When I finally get my Punto back though I will be keeping City off!

HardBoiledEgg said:
The best way to describe it is pressing the accelerator with City on makes it accelerate slower than with it off. When you turn it off you seem to get some sort of power boost or bhp - I don't know how to describe it! Seems to fit with what Catseyes is saying.
Plus, when my battery was duff and I replaced it, my fuel comsumption rose a fair bit suggesting that because the alternator was working hard charging it up it was using petrol somehow.
When I finally get my Punto back though I will be keeping City off!

Good.:)

Back