General Induction kit question

Currently reading:
General Induction kit question

chris4500uk

VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sport
Do I need a specific model or can i use a universal one, am i right in thinking that i need a special sort of spacer that includes the air intake temp sensor etc??

Cheers

There is no air intake sensor I believe it is in the inlet manifold. You can use a universal one, but how are you going to plumb it to the induction sysem?

Ah cool,

Whats all that rubbish inside the airbox then? with the two wires underneath

Ah, just thinking, i'd need a special connection to the TB wouldn't i? :confused:

Best way to do it is buy a gsr kit, as it comes with the "bob" (bit that goes on top of the tb,) off an 899 cinq/sei, a silicone hose and a filter that goes on the end.

Or failing that, go down a scrap yard, take a TB cap and seal off an 899, then buy a 65mm-50mm silicone reducer pipe from demon tweeks (or wherever else sells them.) and a 65mm pipe joiner from the same place. Then buy a universal filter to stick on the end. have a look around the galleries for pics, theres plenty on there. heres a few ideas:

this is the GSR kit,
DSC01017.jpg

this is how to do it with the 899 cap and some silicone hose!

engine_bay1.jpg

Cheers,
Jon+Em

Thats great ! thanks :D

now my next question whos got a spare 899 tb cap :D i kno i kno, classifieds :p

Does this help with cold starts or something?

Would it make a difference if i put a breather filter on? the small things

dont bother using those little max power crappy breather filters :rolleyes: because they vent oil fumes directly to the atmosphere which may cause issues at mot time and oil splatter will come up and out of the filter and down the back of ur engine (n)

your best bet is to tap a hole into the bob and screw in a metal outside hose attachment like on the gsr kits and attach your breather pipe to that, as shown in the pics above (y)

chris4500uk said:
GSR ones are cheap enough, if you make your own it will be more expensive in parts and delivery charges than getting it all in one kit.

Its hard enough to make it perform better, impossible in my opinion to make it cheaper at the same time.

Just buy it!!! lol:p

I think i can make one for about half that price though, I know it wont perform the same but its a nice project for me.

Just need to know if that size reducer would work, do the pipes streech a bit?

Cheers

chris4500uk said:
I think i can make one for about half that price though, I know it wont perform the same but its a nice project for me.

Cheers

To make it you need two reducers and an elbow, the bop, three sleeves, six jubille clips, 2x M6x50 screws and a filter.

If you use silcon hosing, you will have serious problems if you want to get everything done for half price (unless it fell of the back of a lorry).

You can't stretch silicon hoses. On the silicon hose of the F21i induction you can lift a Cinquecento.

Last edited:
chris4500uk said:

Cheers

Othes have tried to make there own systems and they have ended up paying near enough the same as a GSR kit, which through R&D is proven system.

A half decent air filter alone will cost nearly half the GSR kit and then all the silicone hose lenghts and reducers, ally joins etc all adds up, As an example i just bought 1*22to16mm silcone reducer, 1*16mm ally joiner and 1M of 16mm silcone pipe to fit my oil catch tank breather kit cost with postage £27.15, now consider that you will need a reducer much bigger than that a joiner a 90' bend, a joiner and then straight length plus filter you can see where the costs add up.

Give it a go if you want, I always respect peple trying there own thing, but be prepared for dissapointment if you fail to construct it for half the price of a GSR kit.

Aaron.

Back