Styling Indiana Jones Roof Mounted Cargo Basket

Currently reading:
Styling Indiana Jones Roof Mounted Cargo Basket

Mads Gorm

I am looking for a Roof Mounted Cargo Basket - something like this

DSC_4489.jpg

Any advice for a Roof Mounted Cargo Basket ?

My Panda does not have roof rails - so what kind of roof rails should I choose - the high ones or those that are flush with the roof?

Panda-City-Life-Exteriors-Roof-Rails-Mobile_288x220.jpg

RELINGI-DACHOWE-FIAT-PANDA-4X4-CROSS-MONSTER-KPL

Any suggestions?

You don't necessarily need the rails in order to fit roof bars.

Mine doesn't have them, but it came with a set of genuine Panda racks. They bolt into the fitting hidden under the little plastic covers at the edges of the roof panel.

I've never researched it myself, but I'd say you'd be able to get a set of aftermarket racks

Last edited:
Tom95 is correct. The 2003-12 Panda can take a Panda specific roof rail that bolts straight on. I fitted second hand roof rails 20 our 2011 car at a cost of £80 (off here) to ours and its a simple job but you have to search for decent value as they often sell for £150 a set which I think is silly. I would try and get the alloy look bars as this avoids paint issues.

If you have a 2012+ car I have a set of the low fitting rails virtually brand new that I will sell for sensible money. Instructions to fit included. You can get the raised bars for these which are for the cross model. These are very rare second hand. Close fitting bars are not available for the 2003-12 cars.

I have the red bars on my new Panda and the paint chips off VERY easily so be warned about the coloured bars. Pretty but high maintenance.

Thanks for the answers.

It's for at 2012+ Fiat Panda.

I think the roof rails must protect the roof, when you installing the Roof Mounted Cargo Basket. And make it easier to take the Roof Mounted Cargo Basket on and off.

I think I am going to go for the roof rails that are flush with the roof - there seams to be no advantage I can think of to the raised ones.

But I still haven't found a really good Roof Mounted Cargo Basket.

Last edited:
Generally, those cargo baskets have to be fitted onto a set of roof bars (that go across the car between the roof rails)... such as https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/streetwize-cargo-roof-tray-with-wind-deflector-548993160

Also, as mentioned above, if you don't already have roof rails, there are cross bars that fit the screw holes in the roof direct, to which you could then at a basket: https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?emulate=roofbar&query=7970
Yes - they generally require a set of roof bars. Some racks are just for the flush rails directly -
63-140900_d2.jpg

I think I would prefer rails - so as to protect the roof.

Yes - they generally require a set of roof bars. Some racks are just for the flush rails directly -
63-140900_d2.jpg

I think I would prefer rails - so as to protect the roof.

Yes - I was trying to find a link to that exact same rack. These particular ones come with different brackets to suit various cars, including a specific one for the Panda. They are very expensive! THere was UK agent, who also sell extra sump guards and even a winch kit for the 4x4 Panda - https://www.tbruk.com/fiat-panda-1939-c.asp - although their range for the Panda seems to be much smaller now.

Last edited:
Back