Image0020.jpg

Punto (Mk2/2b) In repair.

Introduction

I aquired this car with a totaled engine and other defects, currently fitting a mk1 punto engine!

More pics soon (y)

Image0020.jpg
Re: In repair

Cheers! Needs alot more work done to it though!! Main priority is the front as the bumper is ruined along with the arch liners and wings... Getting there though (y)

Its a full custom system, the engine is from a 97 Sporting so it has a different head and oil pump to begin with. Theres a great sound out of the exhaust! Have a youtube vid but cant link it to this thread... The only downside of that exhaust is it makes sneaking in at 3am near impossible!!! :devil:

nice1 m8, its a proper project this innit m8 a love it

Riiiiiight, its time to rise this thread!

First things first, its still alive :) its very sad where it is at the moment so in a few weeks I'll be pulling it out of hibernation and finally put it back to former glory and then some :)

Between now and the last update this car was my daily driver for a month (December) putting over 1800 miles in 4 weeks in possibly the worst conditions I have ever driven in (I have driven through bogs and blizzards but they wernt consistent and no steep hills involved untill then), it served me well in the snow (it was brilliant, mud and snow tyres all round at 22psi made it go anywhere, never stuck) but the rocker gasket let go and destroyed the driving experience of this car and also ruined several new parts I put into this car, which I still cannot fund for. I was so mad I parked it up and just left it there since January (n) (I needed a car for the 400 miles I put up in a week) so since the start of January its been parked up gathering leaves :( However just 2 days ago I got out a battery, plugged it in, primed the pump and it fired, first time (y) so that got the ball rolling again :D

First, heres a video of it working right (y)

It was a real hoot to go :D

Recently, hats off to andycam for supplying the arch liners and bumper pieces, those were the main cosmetic parts I needed :D

As I'm changing the gasket again, I'm also changing the extention and cams :D Earlier, I rooted out this
Image0710.jpg

Which needed cleaning
Image07111.jpg

All over
Image0719.jpg

So I could paint it and prepare for a cam swap (y)
Image0720.jpg

Expect a few updates in a few weeks...! :)

I dont know how but i found the time to sort out the gasket :)

We start here...
Image0730.jpg

Remove the covers...
Image07311.jpg

Remove the plugs. Disgusting (n)
Image07321.jpg

And a short while later...
Image0733.jpg

And then I found out we had no instant gasket (n)

2 days later, all cleaned up. Took ages... :cry:
Image0734.jpg

Then I spotted this
Image0736.jpg

Image0737.jpg

Out with the taps to sort that :yum:

Then something magical happens...
Image0738.jpg

Timed it and turned the engine several times to make sure it was perfect :)
Image0739.jpg

Image0740.jpg

Back on with the engine mount...
Image07411.jpg

And the chassis mount...
Image07421.jpg

Ta da! (y)
Image07431.jpg

The difference is chalk and cheese, the car is soooo much quieter at tickover :eek:

This little excersise has cost me dear. New coil pack, leads, gasket, bolts and plugs :cry:

Still though, on the road to normality ;)

sort out that induction, get some coloured ht leads and paint the chassis mount and ur onto a winner. (y)

One project at a time! :D Nice magnecor leads are out of the equation as this car has chewed up my finances already, so much for a cheap spare car (having no income atall dosent help :cry:) I was more interested in seeing it going again with that extension and more importantly if the gasket was doing its job, which is why I didnt bother too much with anything else for the moment. But give me time and I'll have it back the way it should be, tidied up (y)

As for induction, that was grand in the winter when it was -18 as the heat from the engine helped for a change. But as summer approaches, its not appropiate anymore... Wait till you all see what I have planned to fit on it after modifications though...! ;)

Clean under there too?:p

If you look carefully, its actually rusty... :eek:

Summer :cool:

And time. Lots of it (y)

My work is cut out and time is limited (I want to go on holidays soon) :slayer:

Time to arise this car out of hibernation...
Image0902.jpg

Like my stolen wheels? From another car around here :devil:

Minutes later...
Image0903.jpg

Wahey!!! :D
Image0904.jpg

One way to describe the interior, FLEUUHHH!!! :yuck:
Image0905.jpg

Theres actually a plant growing in that mat. A PLANT :eek:
Image0906.jpg

After a very funny night in the winter, I'll have to clean that. Don't ask... :yum: ;)
Image0907.jpg

I felt sad, seeing it all green with mould. So I cleaned it :)
Image0908.jpg

And then I had to go away and valet the car I stole the wheels off :eek:

We return in the evening... I ran into a watercut in the wintertime. This will have to be fixed
Image0910.jpg

Now remember my crappy air filter setup? How about this mystery pipe...? :D
Image0909.jpg

Well return to that in a minute ;)

Finally, bumper off. Useless cunfs before me screwed it in, used cable ties and 12mm bolts with nuts to hold it in, botched :mad::mad::mad:
Image09111.jpg

Shoddy crash repair, tut tut :rolleyes:
Image0912.jpg

Now my mystery pipe (y)
Image0913.jpg

Gladly giving this the bin :D
Image0914.jpg

Just need a small piece to extend it a little bit. But not bad for a free pipe :slayer:
Image0915.jpg

Just an extra bit...
Image0916.jpg

More of the damage from the snow
Image0917.jpg

And damage from me as a result of snow :eek:
Image0918.jpg

This will get rust treatment and hammerite. Suggestions for the colour of the slam panel are welcome (y)
Image0919.jpg

For the moment, I have to put it in the graveyard... :dead:
Image0920.jpg

Now I don't know what happened to my pics of the interior but I've whipped it out (y) Its not the first time its been out either according to these bolts...
Image0922.jpg

This ba$tard smashed an old screwdriver weve had as long as I can remember. I'm not very happy about that :cry:
Image0921.jpg

So thats todays progress, keep track, you never know when I'll strike next...! :yum:

In all my spare time I had over the years, I did very little... Well gathering parts I suppose!

If you think thats mad, I recently got my BMW running again, expect that thread to arise (y) and those 2 Mercs need seeing to too...! :D

As for my Sporting, I have the seats dried up and ready to go in, expect an update soon... ;)

Maybe I over estimated with how filthy this car is inside :eek:

At least the wizz did its job :D
Image0943.jpg

And then I got a cold and bad weather all at once :mad:

So a week later...
Image0944.jpg

Uncomfy car is uncomfy :yuck: but almost cleaned :)
Image0945.jpg

Now an emergency the night before required my brake light sender. So I pulled another one out of thin air :)
Image0946.jpg

This isnt a pleasent sight...
Image0947.jpg

So I filled it in :)
Image0948.jpg

But its not working :mad: Any ideas anyone...?
Image0949.jpg

Keep an eye on this, the interior is almost finished, I'll be moving onto the outside soon... ;)

Now... Those wings :yuck:

Enough was enough
Image0978.jpg

Out with that!
Image0979.jpg

Amazing the crap behind those guards
Image0980.jpg

Heres how close the wing was to the washer resivoir...
Image0981.jpg

Away I went and I returned to find some magic was worked on the wing by a household professional :D
Image0985.jpg

And I decided I'd attack the other side (y)
Image0986.jpg

Not bad for a few minutes work, just needs a bit more tapping out :)

Were getting there people ;)

Another update! :D

I am now onto the front end and more importantly straightening it out bit by bit (y)

First, bonnet off and battery tray out
Image1018.jpg

A mild clean of the bay was in order
Image1019.jpg

De rusted, time for white hammerite :)
Image1020.jpg

Now the front cross member was rotten :yuck: so out with the wirebrush...
Image10211.jpg

And some black hammerite (y)
Image1022.jpg

Only half done as the other half is crinkled....

So onto the battery tray :)
Image1023.jpg

Disgusting (n) but after a visit from the wirebrush and paint...
Image1024.jpg

Result :)

Decided to take off my joiner pipe and re do it too, needs a sleeve
Image1025.jpg

And I thought I'd finished for the day :D

But I had another coffee and went out later...
Image1026.jpg

My dad straightened this piece, it was all over the place :mad:
Image1030.jpg

Image1027.jpg

And then...
Image1028.jpg

Followed by
Image1029.jpg

This is almost impossible to straighten without drilling from behind. Its as far as we can go with our equipment
Image10311.jpg

Now I need suggestions for the colour, its not staying yellow :D
Image1032.jpg

And these arnt in great condition, any recommendations for an overhaul kit? I know theres stuff you use with a polishing mop and 2500 wet and dry...
Image1033.jpg

Keep watching, its slowly coming to life... ;)

Back