Technical Immobiliser issue

Currently reading:
Technical Immobiliser issue

So, now my 2006 GP won't start at all - Immobiliser, ABS, power steering batter light all illuminated when you turn the key, but absolutely none of the usual sounds you would expect when you turn the key. The heaters work on all settings, the radio works, all of that stuff is working.

To try and remedy this I have:

• Tried the other key (both no longer work at all. Each key was previously working intermittantly for a short period)
  • Cleaned all earth points and coated in copper grease
  • Tested the battery
  • Tried connecting a jump lead to negative battery terminal and bright part of the engine to eliminate earth
I also removed 3 of the 5 hex nuts I could see under the sterring wheel to get a peek at the plastic ring and wire around the ignition barrel - it didn't look damaged in any way to me, but I suppose it could still potentially be this.

Is there something else I should be checking? A search suggested the fuse box may need replaced, but I checked the fuses and they weren't corroded or anything. I also didn't get any life from the car when I wiggled the fuse box, and that forum poster did.

On the verge of just binning it, but I feel like I should try all I can before I do.

Last edited:
If both keys were showing intermittant malfunction, I'd suspect the other part(s) of the system: either the aerial or the wiring/connections. The aerial itself is not anyhow coded so can be replaced. As that stuff is talking tru CAN bus, I'd try to do a proxy alignment just to be sure the bus is working properly...
Here are some infos about the "code" system.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Attachments

• CODE function.JPG
    CODE function.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 33
  • CODE description.JPG
    CODE description.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 33
If both keys were showing intermittant malfunction, I'd suspect the other part(s) of the system: either the aerial or the wiring/connections. The aerial itself is not anyhow coded so can be replaced. As that stuff is talking tru CAN bus, I'd try to do a proxy alignment just to be sure the bus is working properly...
Here are some infos about the "code" system.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Thanks for the response! I'll try and make sense of the attached - whatever the issue, I cannot even read any error codes.

What does the dashboard instrument cluster do?

Dead.. flicker..?

Battery and oil lights??

Instrument cluster doesn't flicker. The clock and mileage display as normal, the ABS, Handbrake, Power Steering, Battery, Immobiliser button are all illuminated (along with door open and seatbelt, but they should be)

I managed to get this sorted! A wire that runs from the top of one of the electrical connector blocks in the engine bay, behind the scuttle panel and into the fusebox was damaged. I'm not sure what the connector is called, but there are 2 of them to the right of the airbox, and it was pin 1 on the rightmost one.

Thanks for the update, any chance to get a picture ??

Cheers, Bernie

Thanks for the update, any chance to get a picture ??

Cheers, Bernie

Just stolen Andy's image for quickness and circled the connector block I'm talking about:

https://imgur.com/a/w4Xdcct

The auto electrician tested all of the fuses, then moved onto testing individual pins on these connectors (aided by an electrical diagram - he was specifically testing the immobiliser and master circuit-related pins I believe)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was the wire from pin 1 that was the issue.

Last edited:
That connector is @ the ECU ...

Cheers, Bernie

Attachments

• Petrol engine bonnet.jpg
    Petrol engine bonnet.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 32
Back