General Immobiliser & ECU

Currently reading:
General Immobiliser & ECU

rebex

HI iv posted a thread about my immobiliser stopping me from starting my car n iv been told that swapping the ecu with another cars will sort it out. I just want to know how much of a job this is to do? thanx

yea, thats the problem. the key code comes on, its turning over but not starting

Errrrrrr, what dose he do when it comes to MOT?! lolz, Surely it will run rich & Mechanics will be rubbing their hands with the CAT sob story..

It reccommends on the sheet i got with mine - its wise to have the old ECU for the MOTs..

- Ohhh! ah! my MOT is in april... Must swap bk..

_CinqueCento_ said:
Errrrrrr, what dose he do when it comes to MOT?! lolz, Surely it will run rich & Mechanics will be rubbing their hands with the CAT sob story..

It reccommends on the sheet i got with mine - its wise to have the old ECU for the MOTs..

- Ohhh! ah! my MOT is in april... Must swap bk..
dont think the chip will fit a 899 anyway. :)

my tuned 1242 cinq just went through an MOT with a chip on there. 0.0% CO at fast idle, with 13PPM HC (fail is 0.30% and 200PPM). 0.12% CO at idle (fail limit 0.50% i think). No problems with the chip and MOT. I think Michael has added that about having the old chip for the MOT because last year i had problems with emissions at MOT. Turned out to be an ECU fault, combined with a dying engine - NOT the chip.

Also, the chip leans out the mixture through most the rev range.

Swapping in an ECU from another car, you're going to need the ECU, the codebox, the keys and the lockset.

Not sure if the chip has been tested on the 899 or not. It should work, but might overfuel cos of the smaller engine. also it might be possible to do a custom chip that just has the imobiliser taken out - i dunno though, ask him!

i have just had a look inside my red key and there is nothing inside of it??? it does look like there is supposed to be a battery inside but is nothing can anyone plz help and tell me what is supposed to be inside and if this could be the reason why my car isnt starting???

iv got one other blue key. theres a little pill shaped glass thing in there but that is it.

Thats all that should be in there.

Try reprogramming the keys back into the system. Do a search and you should find the procedure.

OK thanks.
From what everyone has advice i think the mckrich chip will be the best option. If anyone disagrees, let me know. Thanx

rebex said:
OK thanks.
From what everyone has advice i think the mckrich chip will be the best option. If anyone disagrees, let me know. Thanx

Why not carry out the recoding procedure? I posted the link to it in your other thread, could save you money, time and hassle.

Liam

Try recoding.

I dunno whether the mckrich chip will work effectively (theres nothing technically stopping it from doing so - but its designed for an engine 100cc bigger!, so may cause the 899cc to overfuel initially)

i'v been told that buying another blue key ( i only have 1 red and 1 blue) and then reprogramming them will get my car working again. is this true?

Have you tried reprogramming the blue key you have?

It seems silly to buy stuff if you dont need it!!

apparently u can only reprogramme ur keys when u have 2 blue ones. im going to buy an ecu from a scrapyard out of a cinq that wasn't made with an immobiliser. is that likely to work?

Yeah the non-immobiliser ECU should swap straight over and start OK.

Re the 2 key thing, thats what Ive heard, but the Official Fiat Document for the ECU that I translated says otherwise.

I'll abridge the recoding procedure from the doc:

1. Insert red key, turn to AVV (Start / Crank position), keep the key held there until the CODE light goes out.
2. Remove red key and do 1. for any blue keys
3. Remove blue key and reinsert red key, turn to AVV again till CODE light goes out to finish the procedure.

Check the procedure worked by inserting the blue key and turning to AVV. The CODE light should go out within a second (The doc says 0.5sec)

Hope that helps!

Back