Stilo I'm tempting fate...!

Currently reading:
Stilo I'm tempting fate...!

R

rattlenroll34

Hello fellow Fiaters!

I am signing up today so's to tempt fate. I am tomorrow morning going to (hopefully) purchase a 2004 Fiat Stilo 1.4 16v 5 door [AC] for a ridiculously small sum of money. It has only 80k on it and a fresh 12 month MOT.
I was looking for a Haynes Manuel for it but am struggling. Do they do one?
My aim is to keep the car mint and treat her like a lady.
I used to have a 57 plate Panda which I sold and have regretted it every day of my life since.

I won't make that mistake again!
Looking forward to all nerdy car chat again!

Compo

Attachments

• fiat.jpg
    fiat.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 38
Well done, and if it's only a few £s you can't go wrong other than change the timing belt as soon as you get it home. That is unless you have categoric evidence that's it's been done recently (miles/time). Doing the water pump is up to you, and if you're paying a garage then a wise choice to do the two at the same time. However if you're doing it yourself, and there's no play on the water pump pulley, leave well alone.

Don't think a Haynes book (or similar) exists, there are repair DVD's on eBay, but usually someone on here can help and 'Davren' is a great source of information.

Well done, and if it's only a few £s you can't go wrong other than change the timing belt as soon as you get it home. That is unless you have categoric evidence that's it's been done recently (miles/time). Doing the water pump is up to you, and if you're paying a garage then a wise choice to do the two at the same time. However if you're doing it yourself, and there's no play on the water pump pulley, leave well alone.

Don't think a Haynes book (or similar) exists, there are repair DVD's on eBay, but usually someone on here can help and 'Davren' is a great source of information.
I have found a Haynes but it's only available directly from them so it's going to cost about £26. I'm sure it will worth the investment, I'm fairly mechanically competent so I'll give most things ago.

I'll go over it thoroughly if I do buy it. Not many on the road any more in good condition. An investment for the future maybe! 😊

Is that an Active Air? It does look quite tidy, I have to say.

At that mileage, just make sure everything works and the various hardware isn't just waiting for a keen new owner to buy it before it starts nagging to be replaced.
  • The clutch may be approaching the end of its life, depending on how much running around town it has done.
  • The brake discs and exhaust could be originals still, so make sure they're not about to expire. The rear brakes tend to get stiff (lazy) and fail to clean (grip) the discs, so look for clean rear discs in particular, not rusty of with a "Saturn rings" wear pattern.
  • Cam-belt and water pump has been mentioned
  • Have a look at the rear bushes - there should be no weeping/green oil around them.
  • Make sure everything electrical works and don't think/assume it's an easy fix. The car has a CANBUS architecture and most of the electrical doodah is controlled by the Body Control Module, which can obviously fail and needs an "ECU repairer" to do it, although they're not particularly bad.
  • Front suspension, arm/bushes and springs in particular is the no.1 MOT failure item on Stilos so make sure that the MOT tester was legit and yours looks all good. Inner tyre shoulder wear is a good indicator of a saggy bush.
But anything mechanical is relatively simple/easy/cheap to fix.. apart from maybe the rear bushes which is a wrestling match with a steel girder.. so if the car is cheap and you're relatively handy with the spanners, then it's very worth a punt.

Ralf S.

The garage I'm buying it from are a trusted garage and it's having its mot today. Like I said I'll go through it all step by step. None of my cars have ever wanted for anything. If it needs attention it will be done. Cars are pretty cheap to run/fix if your prepared to get your hands grubby. I only use a mechanic if I absolutely can't manage the job. I'm not prepared to fork out £60 ph when I can do it myself. Absolute rip off. Most of them do a half arsed job anyway, at least if I do it myself I know it will have been done properly!!

You might find this useful:

One issue I did notice with the car is the electric boot lid opener doesn't work, but it does off the key fob leading me to believe its a relay. Does anyone know where the relays are located? That would help me muchly 😂

Thanks guys

BTW... UPDATE

I am now the proud owner of a cheeky little Fiat Stilo 😁👍

If the boot only opens via the key fob then everything that it needs to open the lock (relays and wiring) would seem to be working. The problem is more likely to be the switch under the rubber cover, above the number plate. It should be possible to stick in a second-hand one fairly easily.

Ralf S.

Back