Technical ignition

Currently reading:
Technical ignition

If it's just the electrical switch you want to replace, it should screw or clip onto the back of the steering lock barrel/housing.

If it's the whole steering lock, for most Fiat steering/ignition lock barrels you need to have the key in the barrel and turned to the first position, then push a small screwdriver into the hole or gap in the side of the barrel housing. You can then pull the barrel out using the key.

There's a spring loaded catch that holds the barrel in but you can only press it when the key is in the lock and turned.

Dave.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. There's small pin that I'll try pushing in with a screw driver to remove the lock barrel. I'll turn the key to the first position as you have suggested. I also need to take the entire collar off, because there is a bad connection in there somewhere. Apparently, there are 2 safety bolts that hold the 2 halves together. When they are tightened down the heads snap off, so you have to drill them out to get the 2 pieces off the steering column. If that works, then how do you get it back together? Had any experience with that?

It's not a pin, it's a metal sprung loaded plate. The lock barrel is a grey (gray) alloy and the plate is bright steel.

You can buy replacement snap-off bolts if you decide to drill them out.

I usually get them out using a hammer and center punch. Place the tip of the punch on the outer edge of one of the snapped off bolts and hit it anti-clockwise to unscrew it. Remove one bolt completely and temporarily replace it with a normal 8mm (13mm spanner size) bolt to hold the barrel and clamp solid whilst you use the same method to remove the second snapped off bolt.

You can either replace them with new bolts or refit the original snapped off bolts by hitting them clockwise with the hammer and punch.

If, being USA specification, you have airbag(s) fitted. Disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes before using a hammer on the steering column.

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks again for the info, but it's a 75 x. There is no plate, only a small pin. I can push it in, but the barrel doesn't come out. The bolts holding the ignition switch are rounded, so the punch wouldn't work. I cut a slit in the head for a screwdriver, but that didn't work either. Will have to drill them out, I guess.

Try turning the key to various positions, then pushing the pin or, hold the pin in gently whilst turning the key slowly and you should feel the pin go in further.

All snap-off bolts are rounded after the heads have snapped off but you can still get the tip of a center punch on the top outer edge of what remains of the head. I've done it numerous times.

Dave.

Back