Technical Ignition Problem Please Help

Currently reading:
Technical Ignition Problem Please Help

Laserboot

Hi, im new to driving and modding etc and i have recently bought a fiat bravo 1.6 sx. I have noticed that the ignition has an annoyign problem and it will not always turn.
How would i go about fixing this problem and how much would it cost me?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More details...
When i put the blue key into the ignition it wount even turn, i have done it before and the car engine appears to be fine. Its just the key mechanism that isnt functioning. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

I think may be the ecu is taking time to read the code from the key. Wait until the code light goes off then only turn the key. Does you keychain have more than one car keys on it?

Hi, thanks for helping me. The problem is the key just wount turn in the ignition barrel no matter how hard i turn it. The electrics wount start and thus the engine wount start either. when i insert the key it just doesnt more anti clockwise or clockwise or anything. It just stays there. sometimes it works though and sometimes it doesnt. Do you know what could be the problem?
Thankyou

Are the keys original, if not then sometimes the duplicates damage the key barrel. Have you tested it with the red key or other blue key. Do they work?

sounds like a tumbler in the ignition barrel could be sticking, try a squirt of wd40 in the key hole. also check the keys for wear, a worn key often has difficulty turning the lock.

Hi, i havent tried the red key as the car didnt come with one and it has a blue key. i am unsure whether this is copied but i dont think it is. Its not worn either. The problem seems to get worse if the steering lock is on, do you know how much it might cost me to get the ignition barrel replaced without having the red key to reprogram the ecu etc? Thanks

Hi, i havent tried the red key as the car didnt come with one and it has a blue key. i am unsure whether this is copied but i dont think it is. Its not worn either. The problem seems to get worse if the steering lock is on, do you know how much it might cost me to get the ignition barrel replaced without having the red key to reprogram the ecu etc? Thanks

Try jiggling the steerign wheel as you try to turn the key, might be the steering lock is sticking on a bit.

you can take any ignition barrel to a good locksmiths and get it reset to accept your current key. i've had it done before, it cost me £20.

Back