Technical Idling problems when cold

Currently reading:
Technical Idling problems when cold

familyfarrugia001

I've got a Cinquecento Sporting whose engine is not idling properly when cold and the engine dies away. In order to get the car running, I've got to keep the engine revving until the engine warms up. When it warms up slightly, it idles at around 500rpm with difficulty. Once it is properly warmed up, it revs at 900rpm with no problem whatsoever. Even starting from warm is no problem at all. I've checked all the usual stuff ie vacuum pipes and cables, connectors etc and all seems fine. Any ideas pls?
jf

borrow a multi meter set it to resistance...
remove the plug on the coolant temperature sensor and measure resistance cold
it needs to be near to nominal value which value lurks on site somewhere...

Hi guys. It appears that it's not the temp sensor that is causing the problem. I checked the sensor's resistance at various temperatures as you suggested and the resistances that i got match pretty well with the values that I found on one of the threads of this forum. I'm suspecting that the culprit could be the idling stepper motor. It appears that a supply is coming on it but i'm not sure whether it is functioning properly. I intend taking it out of its housing and check for proper operation. What do you think please?
F

I'd do the compression tests first and check the oil cap for 'mayo'.

Back