General idle control valve

Currently reading:
General idle control valve

gvmllr

hi all does anybody know were the idle control valve is on a fiat bravo 1.2...51 plate...my revs are well below 1000rpm and my car doesnt sound too good. i want to turn the rpm back up to 1000rpm. i know the carb is automatic but couldnt see the idle control valve. would i have to take the carb of to get to it...thanks.

Afaik it should rev at 7 to 800 RPM. If it doesn't run smoothly there might be other problems.
The 1.2 is fuel injected, meaning there is no carb, only a throttle valve body.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure. I seem to remember the revs being entirely controlled by the ECU, meaning there is no manual adjustment. The ECU should keep the engine on a rev level where the engine will idle smoothly. (Ie, slightly faster when cold, then slowing down once the engine warms up)

Can you describe in what way the engine "doesn't sound too good"? (Lumpy, rough, misfiring, unstable, squeeling, tapping, grinding?)

I'm holding one of those units in my hand. It's all integrated so you can't turn it up or down like the cable throttle models.

Clean up the tb well, it's connections and reset the ecu. Check your potentiometer, it's at the end of the accelerator pedal, check for loose connections, condition etc. See if that makes a difference (y)

it happened a few days ago,went for petrol,started the car and its not been right. my revs used to be bang on 1000rpm and my car sounded very sweet. but now my revs are idling between 500 to 700 rpm and the car sounds like a bag of spanners. when im at junctions the car shudders from the rear left as if something has came away from under the body,its also using more fuel. when i accelerate its not as quick as it was.

ref....Clean up the tb well, it's connections and reset the ecu. Check your potentiometer...........

can you just give me a brief discription of were these things are and what to do please..

can you just give me a brief discription of were these things are and what to do please..

Potentiometer: Resistor that adjusts its voltage to control how open the throttle is; the fly by wire system. It's at the top of the accelerator pedal, a black unit with 2 nuts holding it in and a plug.

TB: on the engine. Take off the air pipes and clean it out. Take off the connector and clean it thoroughly.

$(KGrHqRHJBYE9uOgEh8SBPkGzpmfUQ~~60_35.JPG

hi m20b25 thanks for replying,ive been told its my oxy sensor thats at fault,got up this morning and started the car. getting grey/white smoke from exhaust. i thought it might have been the headgasket on its way out but been speaking to someone who works on cars for a living. i didnt mention anything about the oxy sensor during my conversation. i have made a 20 second video of the car running,how do i uploadit on here so you can see it.

Sounds a regular misfire, could be coil pack or spark plug.
engine tickover speed is not adjustable, the ecu reads speed and adjusts accordingly.
Tony.

Last edited:
these are the symptoms of a faulty coilpacl

A rough idle
An unexplainably louder-than-usual engine
A noticeable lack of power
A significant drop in RPMs while accelerating for no apparent reason
A blinking or intermittently activating check engine light
An active gas warning light when the vehicle has plenty of gasoline
Smoke from the exhaust emitting intermittently, instead of in a steady stream
my car is showing all apart from the engine management light,had diagnostics done today,pointing to coilpack,im getting diagnostics done in morning again to see if ill get the same codes..fingers crossed its coilpack.

Back