idiot!

Currently reading:
idiot!

A MUSLIM woman thrown off a murder trial jury for allegedly listening to music was warned today that the court regarded her case as both "difficult" and "fundamentally important".

The 20-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was arrested several weeks ago after a fellow juror spotted MP3 headphone wires poking from the side of her hijab.

At the time, a pensioner accused of bludgeoning his wife to death after 50 years of marriage was giving evidence.

The hearing at London's Blackfriars Crown Court was temporarily halted while she was discharged and then arrested.

Today the court's top judge, Aidan Marron QC, said he was not prepared to hear the case today.

He told the woman, who was again wearing her traditional headscarf as she stood in the dock: "I regret very much indeed not being able to resolve this difficult case today.

"I can understand the real anxiety she and her family have, but I am afraid this is so important, it is of fundamental importance, that we get it right."

To that end, he felt it necessary to adjourn the matter until an "amicus"" had been appointed to help properly present the case.

"I will endeavour to deal with this case on Thursday when counsel will be appointed to assist the court. But ultimately, if by Thursday that proves to be impossible, then this case will resume on Monday August 6," said the judge.

Earlier he told Helen Curtis, defending: "Having looked very carefully at this case, at the heart of it is whether this young lady deliberately ignored the case."

Other matters complained of at the time would not be treated as contempt.

"It will be apparent from that, although there may be allegations of seeking excusal from jury service, although there may in fact be allegations she was persistently late in attending, and although there may be allegations that she was quite indifferent to listening to the evidence and studying documentation, particularly during an important part of the murder trial when the financial aspects were being discussed and analysed - that effectively, as you know, was the motive - these matters to my mind demonstrate mindset but they do not constitute contempt," he explained.

"It seems to me this court has got to grasp the nettle. The fundamentally important allegation is whether she was deliberately ignoring the evidence by listening to music. I am going to concentrate on that."

In the meantime he wanted her client to "reflect on her position".

He added, however, that the case would have to be tried at another court because of the danger that he and other judges at Blackfriars would know some of the potential witnesses.

honestly,a murder trial and she does that!

Back