idiot driver, 'runaway prius'

Currently reading:
idiot driver, 'runaway prius'

arc

this is where i stand
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wo...ck-In-San-Diego/Article/201003215570774?f=rss

James Sikes, 61, was overtaking another vehicle when he discovered he could not slow down his 2008 Toyota Prius while travelling on a motorway in San Diego.

Despite pressing hard on the brake pedal, the car kept accelerating.

"I pushed the gas pedal to pass a car and it did something kind of funny... it jumped and it just stuck there," Mr Sikes said.

"As it was going, I was trying the brakes... it wasn't stopping, it wasn't doing anything and it just kept speeding up."

So why not shift it in neutral? Not like it won't work..

composed enough to use the phone etc, why didn't the emergency services tell him to do it?

I've had the throttle stick on my car before, i didn't feel the need to call 999 - dipped the clutch, turn it off, into neutral, ignition back on and stopped the car.

There was a press conference video on here somewhere of a woman it happened to.

She put it into netural, and even reverse (so what if it shag's the gearbox, at least in theiroy you'd stop), as well as holding brake on, and turning engine off, but it kept going.

If what she said is right somehow I don't think its only an accelerator problem, more a software issue. Mainly as the CC light came on also.

Funny how it's only Prius running away from accelerator issues, when alot of other toyota models also have the same accelerator pedal/set-up, also a reason for meaning its more of a software issue, perhaps with just the Prius?

but if you look at the video, the accelerator floored and you can shift it into neutral..

Yes, but I assume the Prius is CAN Bus run just like most modern cars (especially given the stuff the car can do electrical wise).

All Prius are autos with CVT boxes, throttle is fly by wire, and I expect the gearbox control is also.

If the system develops a fault electrically / software wise, then there is nothing stopping the system from apply full throttle and ignoring the gear selectors requests to enguage neutral.

The braking issue (that only the Prius in the Toyota range is affected by) is a software issue. Wouldn't surprise me if the acceleration one is also.

As far as turning of engine, alot of the Prius are also CAN Bus control start/stop buttons, again, which 'off' comands could be locked out by a system malfunction?

I'll round up some replies to a few posts in this one....

In the interests of research last night, I tried all the stuff people claimed they've done which doesn't work....

You can shift into neutral with the throttle flat to the floor.

You hold down the power button for a few seconds, it drops into neutral and kills all power stone dead, again can be done whilst moving.

Reverse can't be selected whilst moving forwards quickly. Seems to allow it when you're rolling off the throttle at walking pace, though.

Hitting the brakes whilst flat to the floor on the throttle curtails engine power, and the massively assisted brakes combined with the 'hybrid drive' regeneration device will easily overpower the engine.

Basically, it's as fail safe as it can possibly be - but, as they're nothing like a 'normal' car, you need to know what you're doing before you take one out on the road.

They'll top 94mph quite easily, but are limited electronically to 105mph.

There's definitely a place for them, especially for company car drivers - company car tax is just about the lowest of any car out there, they do 45mpg, are comfortable and quiet on the motorway. There aren't many cars which will seat 5, with their luggage, and have an auto box which can be had for under 400 quid / year company car tax, and I can't think of anything else in vaguely the same class that will do 45mpg when caned mercilessly which also have an auto box.

They're also very well equipped compared with the usual company car choices in this class - much better equipment levels than the Passat and Focus I've had before.

Most people don't 'get' the Prius, but many who have spent time with one (not just a quick drive, I'm talking several thousand miles) rate them very highly - I like mine, so I've requested we get the new ones when these go back. (Choices were Insight, Prius and Focus Econetic)

Mine will even park itself....

Back