General Ideas for storing a full sized spare? 2014 500L Trekking w/Beats Audio

Currently reading:
General Ideas for storing a full sized spare? 2014 500L Trekking w/Beats Audio

I'm working on how to store a full sized spare tire in my 2014 500L Trekking with the Beats Audio package, and I'm wondering if anyone here has ideas or experience with a solution. The trunk seems easiest but the Beats Audio subwoofer is in the way, so maybe a hitch setup would be better?

The long story is that I bought this car used, it's in good shape except it didn't come with the compact spare kit that stows underneath the car. No problem until I got a bad flat last week, so I bought two new tires and kept the old good one as a full sized spare (still need to find a rim for it).

There is almost enough room to store the tire in the trunk and have the cargo lid in the upper position, but the Beats Audio subwoofer is in the way by a few inches. If you look at the photos you'll see what I mean.

This is my first post here so apparently I can't link/embed photos? You can find them in the Gallery under "500L 2014 Trekking with Beats Audio." (There isn't much online about this configuration so I'd be happy to upload more photos if there's interest.)

The most straightforward solution might be just to hack away part of the woofer plastic housing to make it fit. Or perhaps relocate the woofer to somewhere forward in the car.

The other idea I've had is to install a trailer hitch kit and a spare tire carrier. But it would have to be a swing-away tire carrier in order to open the hatchback.... Or if I bolted a tire mount straight through the hatchback panel the tire will probably block the back-up camera anyway.... This route seems too complicated.

So, any ideas or insights?

Ok, I've made my 5 posts so now I can include photos....

Stock cargo area with Beats Audio subwoofer at right.

Underside/mounting for subwoofer.

Full size spare (17 inch rim) fits perfectly without the subwoofer

Last edited:
Back