Ickle bike

Currently reading:
Ickle bike

Fast Finger

Established member
Ive been thinking for a while about geting myself a little bike.
125 or similar (have cbt and another one, not the full licence, not really sure what it quallifies me for) just for a bit of weekend fun.

Dont really want a scooter, and would prefer not to sound like im riding a blender.!

Presume insurance will be cheap as i have 7 years of accident free motoring behind me already (surely it must count for something?).

Open to all styles but must be fairly cheap, will consider fix-er-up-ers.

Maybe even a 250 or 400 as i believe that if they are restricted they are still ok!?

Any suggestions?

(and yes, the thread on the trikes was what got me thinking again. :D )

If you don't have a full bike licence you won't be able to ride bigger than a 125 without an instructor. Your car no claims will not qualify you for any subsequent discount on bike insurance either! (n) If you want a bit of fun for the weekend then any one of the 125 race reps will have you grinning like a self abusing ape! (y) pick of the bunch is the Aprilia RS 125. (y) I owned 2 of them! :D

Last edited:
Ben R said:
any one of the 125 race reps will have you grinning like a self abusing ape! (y) pick of the bunch is the Aprilia RS 125. (y) I owned 2 of them! :D

What they like for speed, handling etc?
And do they need much in the way of maintenance? I know some strokers need a rebuild practically every outing to keep them running right (n)

Nah mate, the japanese ones are the best for reliability but even the RS's don't require a rebuild until about 10.000 miles! (y) They all must run on good oil though, selenia is your best bet! (y) The RS is a fantastic bike, the handling is superb & I used to get 106mph out of mine, 0-60 is around 5.7secs I think. ;)

I don't know much about bikes but I do know that they aren't very reliable at the best of times and if you buy an Italian one you're just asking for trouble. I've had 2 friends with Aprilias and they both spent more time being fixed than on the road!

As a side issue, can someone clear this up once and for all (the dvla site is very confusing). I've done my CBT, plus obviously car licence, but on the licence it has a B (Cars) and an A (Bikes) - the dvla says A1 is under 125cc and A is any bike. I don't have full bike entitlement do I so why have I got an A does it mean provisional entitlement or something?

Also can you skip the CBT if you get a full car licence? Nobody ever seems sure!

No you will still need to do CBT before venturing on the road, if you get stopped by the rossers without one I think it's a hefty fine! (n) Turboned would be a good person to ask about that. There isn't anything wrong with italian bikes just the way in which people look after them. Like anything else if they are serviced & maintained correctly with the right oil they should never go wrong! (y)

Time to start looking i think.
Can get good quality gear ie helmets etc at fairly cheap prices. (y)

Fast Finger said:
Time to start looking i think.
Can get good quality gear ie helmets etc at fairly cheap prices. (y)

Mate always spend as much as possible on your helmet, mine cost 280 quid but was worth it! (y) When it comes to your head spend the most you can yeah? ;)

Ben R said:
No you will still need to do CBT before venturing on the road, if you get stopped by the rossers without one I think it's a hefty fine! (n) Turboned would be a good person to ask about that. There isn't anything wrong with italian bikes just the way in which people look after them. Like anything else if they are serviced & maintained correctly with the right oil they should never go wrong! (y)
People look after Italian things more carelessly than they look after Japanese things?

I agree whole heartedly Ben R. Did not mean i wanted cheap tat to protect my noggin, just meant i can get good quality gear cheaper than normal retail price (y)

Back