I pray this wasn't a member of the FF.

Currently reading:
I pray this wasn't a member of the FF.

Wonder how long the lorry driver had been driving for... you hear a lot of stories now of lorry drivers working long hours and getting tired at the wheel. I'm not saying it was the lorry drivers fault as they mentioned he had to swerve to avoid a car, but it wouldnt suprise me tbh. There should be tighter restrictions on how long there allowed to drive.

Wonder how long the lorry driver had been driving for... you hear a lot of stories now of lorry drivers working long hours and getting tired at the wheel. I'm not saying it was the lorry drivers fault as they mentioned he had to swerve to avoid a car, but it wouldnt suprise me tbh. There should be tighter restrictions on how long there allowed to drive.

there are,go look up the new driving regulations for large vehicles

It's our dependance on road transport for these big heavy items which is at fault. If trains were more local and offered the small freight systems they used to have we wouldn't require lorries to move things like bags of animal feed between towns.

Guy I work with once saw a crash involving a curtain side lorry. It basically jacknifed and blocked the carriageway. Guy got out a car next to it just in time for a roll of printing paper weighing several tonnes to fall out and flatten his car. He is sooo lucky to have been alone in the car and to have gotten out quickly enough.

There are regs on drivers hours but they are often and easily worked around.

There are regs on drivers hours but they are often and easily worked around.

Fortunately the new working time directive will scuppere some unscrupulous hauliers because unlike other profesions, we are limited to a maximum of 48 hours a week and must have a minimum 45 hour continous break within a two week period as well as normal break periods.

The new digital tacho's will be harder to alter and they record everything a driver does to the last second. Unfortunately there will be those who will try and cheat the system and there isn't a lot that can be done.

On another point. It's not easy stopping 44 tonnes when some numpty decides to cut you up or doesn't give you enough room to manouver. Fortunately the largest I drive is 26 tonnes and there are plenty about who try and dive in front, expect the wagon to bend in the middle on bends and generally don't give wagons enough space or respect for their own safety, we can't see everything going on from inside the cab.

Fortunately the new working time directive will scuppere some unscrupulous hauliers because unlike other profesions, we are limited to a maximum of 48 hours a week and must have a minimum 45 hour continous break within a two week period as well as normal break periods.

The new digital tacho's will be harder to alter and they record everything a driver does to the last second. Unfortunately there will be those who will try

Is that gonna include all the foreign truck aswell?

I spent 2 1/2 hours stuck on the M6 between gathurst bridge and junction 27. It took me 3 1/2 hours to get to work yesterday. My brother was further up the M6 near the accidnet, didnt see it happen but could see it from where he had to stop. He was there stopped from about 7am getting off the M6 at 3pm.

Shocking accident though, apparantly the lorry had to swerve around a car into third lane, when it then rolled onto the punto taking it with it. Truely gruesome

Looking at the article pictures D-O-T posted, I might have been pictured queuing up

Attachments

• m6.JPG
    m6.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 47
I worked with 1 of the guys that died in the accident and the 1 that is in hospital in a bad way. they were fantastic, genuine guys. they were scaffolders on our site in Warrington. As far as I know they were not members. - My thoughts are with the families. RIP Ste and Thomas :cry:

Very sad news indeed my old man happened to mention about an accident tonight Involving some chaps From Capes (spl) Scaffolding he was talking to a chap working on Drax power station who said they had the day off to attend the funeral and i remembered reading this thead. And your post Zoe confirms the fact it was the same accident i think the passanger who initally survived has died as the chap said 4 had been killed

thaughts are with the familys and friends...

Just goes to show you just have to be in the right place at the wrong time :cry:

Back