General I just had my tank changed, and it leaks worse lol

Currently reading:
General I just had my tank changed, and it leaks worse lol

I had my petrol tanked replaced today by the dealer (free of course, even though it was out of the recall range (y) )

Before it was seeping at the seams......NOW it is dripping petrol :bang: :mad:

I imagine one of the connections on the top is not right, as I could smell fumes, but it wasn't until i filled the tank it pissed over the drive.

I'm not phoning to get put off for another two weeks, so just driving in when they are open and asking for it to be fixed.....wish me luck :D

I did ask originally if i could just have the part to self fit, as I really like to do this stuff myself, but was told no. Probably done a better job myself though :D :slayer:

At least I have a new tank fitted free, and worst comes to worst i have to sort the leak out myself.

Total list of parts changed were:

tank
8 bolts
2 x one style gasket
1 x another style gasket

Sound about right?

Cheers,

Kristian

OP
OP
R
Nah, it was def from the top of the tank.

Took it back this morning, had it back by 11, one of the seals on the top of the tank was pinched.

Sad to see it went out like that, but glad it appears to be ok now (still stinks but no dripping). Think its just the old stuff evaporating.

Kristian

OP
OP
R
hmmmmm...

since the tank was fixed for the second time on Saturday, it has cut out a few times and still had an aroma of petrol, mileage seemed a bit lower as well, 50 miles less on half a tank.

On the way to work this morning and it cut out 3 times. Last time was rolling through the work gates.

Popped the bonnet and got covered in petrol!!! The hose from the fuel rail to the fixed line had blown off, spreading petrol in all the cavities in the moulding of the botten, all over the electrics and all over the block, dripping JUST away from the manifold!!!!

Coeincidence it has done this JUST after its been in twice for a fuel related problem?!

Lucky escape anyway :D Should I mention/query the garage or just fix it myself?

Kristian

OP
OP
R
Yeah, I am going to fix it myself as I need to get home ;)

I kept trying to start it was i was coasting along....wonder what 3 bar of fuel looks like squirting round the bay :D

Hope its not sabbotage, probably jsut fiddling, and a simple error, hence me wondering wether I should tell the garage?

Probs just leave it in the end though and forget about it.

Kristian

OP
OP
R
25 minutes on my lunch break and a new hose is fitted just to make sure... (y)

Hopefully have some trouble free motoring now :D

Kristian

:eek: That could have gone seriously wrong for the car and your life dude! I would tell the garage about it, even if you've fixed it. Is it something they would have disturbed?

OP
OP
R
Well, it was a tank change...and this was in the engine bay. Still...I saw him doing stuff in there, and it is closely related...ie. It's all to do with fuel

I don't want to go in and mention it though, if he hadn't done anything to it, and it is all a massive coincidence.

Kristian

black seicento

Tinkerbell
I've got a similar problem.... had fuel tank replaced for free about a month ago, but can still smell petrol. I phoned Fiat today to see what should be done and they said they can check it out but if the problem is not related to the new fuel tank been fitted, i'll be charged for the inspection (£35 for half hour) & obvisuly will be charged for it fixing if its not related to the new fuel tank. dont really know what to do! Any suggestions?!

I've got a similar problem.... had fuel tank replaced for free about a month ago, but can still smell petrol. I phoned Fiat today to see what should be done and they said they can check it out but if the problem is not related to the new fuel tank been fitted, i'll be charged for the inspection (£35 for half hour) & obvisuly will be charged for it fixing if its not related to the new fuel tank. dont really know what to do! Any suggestions?!

Remove the cover plate under the rear seat and look for signs of fuel leak.

when i took mine in for the tank they done the same with my top seal around the pump except mine didnt have one on and when i turned a corner fuel spilled out i marched back in and demanded it be done there and then or else ill take em court, soon got done and even got £10 back for the lost fuel lol

OP
OP
R
After STILL smelling petrol, and having no luck tracing the leak, I finally checked the tank....surely it couldn't still be leaking! yup! :eek:

Found out for definite Friday afternoon after driving about with the seat up and plate off, rang FIAT up ... a bit high from the fumes :mad: , took it straight in, and 3 hours later they had fitted ANOTHER new tank, and finally the smell has gone.

I watched them do it from the MOT window, had 4 "mechanics" doing it, probably training them.

I was going to ask for some kind of compensation, but couldn't be dealing with the hassle as I had to blast down south...

Luckily it's finally fixed though :)

Kristian

Liam

hi friends :waves:
The seals and pipes at the top of the tank are quite fiddly as you have to tuck the pipes in before raising the tank, I think not many techs have done these types of jobs so there is going to be issues somewhere.

Glad it's all done now though.

Liam