I hope not.....

Currently reading:
I hope not.....

As they argue in the article, in the event that you need to overtake quickly and therefore briefly exceed the speed limit to avoid a collision this is not a good idea. I think something like a audible warning to make you aware that you are speeding, similar to the seatbelt warnings most cars are fitted with now that beep when the driver isn't wearing a seatbelt.
You'd be able to put up with a beep whilst overtaking for short periods but driving along continuously would make drivers stick to the speed limit to avoid the audible warning.

i understand limiting cars to say 95mph
For 1 simple reason

It stops your licence been taken off you on a motorway :)

95mph is more then fast enough, plenty of room for overtaking, and it stops motorway german ******s sitting on your kind italian bums because we dont drive like knobs

I support a variation of it, to limit going WAY over the limit, but not making us stick to it

So say in a 20 - max of 35
In a 30 - max of 50
In a 40 - max 60
In a 50 - max 60
in a 60 - max 85 (keeps you witing the +30mpg banning)
And on a 70 - 95

Make sense to me

Ziggy

As they argue in the article, in the event that you need to overtake quickly and therefore briefly exceed the speed limit to avoid a collision this is not a good idea. I think something like a audible warning to make you aware that you are speeding, similar to the seatbelt warnings most cars are fitted with now that beep when the driver isn't wearing a seatbelt.
You'd be able to put up with a beep whilst overtaking for short periods but driving along continuously would make drivers stick to the speed limit to avoid the audible warning.

Wouldn't work, my radio goes louder than seatbelt warning - job sorted :)

Got to love the EU.
Do as we say, not as we do.

Those B'stards insist we fit limiters to our big vehicles yet completely fail to insist they do their own.

I was doing a constant 100kph all the way through and yet the HGV, which is supposed to have the same limiter fitted (and, in any case, isn't supposed to be doing more than 56mph) can accellerate away from me so fast that it looks like I hit the brakes.

There have also been many other times when I have been doing my constant speed & come upon cars pootling along in lane 1 - yet speed up when I try to overtake. A VERY dangerous game.

Should all cars be fitted with limiters?

Well, maybe as @ Ziggy says, limit all vehicles to 95mph and maybe also fit some sort of black box to ensure the speed limits are only broken for very short periods of time - so let someone speed up to 95 to get by a car or two - but then, maybe, report if the limit is exceeded for more than, for example, 90 seconds (and that is a long, long time, covering quite a distance)

Last edited:
Wouldn't work, my radio goes louder than seatbelt warning - job sorted :)

And you also get drivers who locate these alarms & mute them or disconnect them. I used to know a guy who went to the trouble of fitting a seatbelt buckle to the driver's stalk just to shut up the warning light and alarm - for all those journeys (every!) where he didn't wear a belt. come MOT time, he simply removed the buckle.

i dont see why they keep mkaing cars that go over 150mph

When in the UK and some places there are limits

Not saying you cant have a posh car but why would you wanna do 150? asking for trouble imo

And Sludgeguts
I've had that happen to me when i was in a car.... thing is tho - in a car you can play a very different game
drop clutch - drop anchor and still get past

I love it when there are Average 50mph zones, wagons set there limiters to 53mph, because they can get away with the +10% rule

I dont budge, you can sit on my ass, but at 50 they shouldnt be going any faster
Kinda taking the law into you own hands, but now it'd be done for lane hogging....

Ziggy

i thought bad idea but if there are people who think its ever safe to be doing
50 in a 30
60 in a 40
85 in a 60

then maybe we need it

It sometimes can be safe to do those speeds. How is a 'safe' speed dictated by a number on a stick?

Also, if everyone can only do 70, lets reduce the motorways to single lane, no need for the others really is there? :) (Except for lorries)

Dom

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by dave
50 in a 30
60 in a 40
85 in a 60

then maybe we need it

It sometimes can be safe to do those speeds. How is a 'safe' speed dictated by a number on a stick?

Also, if everyone can only do 70, lets reduce the motorways to single lane, no need for the others really is there? :) (Except for lorries)

Dom

It can never be safe to do those speeds. They are not simply figures that are plucked out of thin air.
I know of a couple of roads locally where the posted limit has been reduced due to a number of incidents. Even though the limit was 40, some drivers believed they knew best, they 'knew' what they & their car was capable of & so drove those roads at 60 & children lost their lives as a result.
The posted figures, btw, aren't 'must do' speeds, they are maximum numbers.
My neighbour pulled across the A5 & his car was totalled. He had crossed that same piece of road many, many times to visit his daughter. He knew that it was safe to cross if the oncoming traffic hadn't reached a certain fixed point. The other driver told police my neighbour seemed to hesitate as he was pulling across the dual carriageway, police bods said his car was doing "in excess" of 100mph in the minutes before impact.

With great freedom comes great responsibility and, sad to say, more and more drivers are abusing their freedom by acting irresponsibly.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by dave
50 in a 30
60 in a 40
85 in a 60

then maybe we need it

It can never be safe to do those speeds. They are not simply figures that are plucked out of thin air.
I know of a couple of roads locally where the posted limit has been reduced due to a number of incidents. Even though the limit was 40, some drivers believed they knew best, they 'knew' what they & their car was capable of & so drove those roads at 60 & children lost their lives as a result.
The posted figures, btw, aren't 'must do' speeds, they are maximum numbers.
My neighbour pulled across the A5 & his car was totalled. He had crossed that same piece of road many, many times to visit his daughter. He knew that it was safe to cross if the oncoming traffic hadn't reached a certain fixed point. The other driver told police my neighbour seemed to hesitate as he was pulling across the dual carriageway, police bods said his car was doing "in excess" of 100mph in the minutes before impact.

With great freedom comes great responsibility and, sad to say, more and more drivers are abusing their freedom by acting irresponsibly.

Why can't it? A section of road very local to me used to be NSL (60), now it's 40. I don't remember any accidents on that road so why has it changed?

I don't break the speed limit anyway as I see them as a maximum but I do see that a number on a stick is not a safe speed.

http://goo.gl/maps/Ru4Xm - 95+ wouldn't be safe here if there was nothing on the road? Why?

Dom

http://goo.gl/maps/Ru4Xm - 95+ wouldn't be safe here if there was nothing on the road? Why?

If it's anything like around here, I bet there are deer, badger, pheasant, hedgehog, pigeon and fox carcasses all over the place.... But are there the warning signs to go with them...? :rolleyes:

PS: Can't see Street View on my iPad... -- not from your link, anyhoo. :(

Last edited:
If it's anything like around here, I bet there are deer, badger, pheasant, hedgehog, pigeon and fox carcasses all over the place.... But are there the warning signs to go with them...? :rolleyes:

PS: Can't see Street View on my iPad... -- not from your link, anyhoo. :(

Nope, none of those as far as I'm aware. :) Just a straight A road dual carriageway.

Dom

Nope, none of those as far as I'm aware. :) Just a straight A road dual carriageway.

It doesn't look that straight to me... -- especially with that nice right-hander coming up, going north-west, with the parking bay on it. And, no matter what speed you were doing, I wouldn't trust those barriers to stop you rolling down the hill (or being rolled on...). :eek:

Why can't it? A section of road very local to me used to be NSL (60), now it's 40. I don't remember any accidents on that road so why has it changed?

I don't break the speed limit anyway as I see them as a maximum but I do see that a number on a stick is not a safe speed.

Dom

Must admit, I can't see why they downgraded that road - however, it costs the councils much money to change speed limits so I doubt it was done on a whim.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...data/file/2733/setting-local-speed-limits.pdf

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]"important factors when considering what is an appropriate speed limit[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]:
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]history of collisions[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT], including frequency, severity, types and causes;  [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]road geometry and engineering [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT](width, sightlines, bends,junctions, accesses and safety barriers etc.), [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]road function [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT](strategic, through traffic, local access etc.)  [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]composition of road users [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT](including existing and potential levels of vulnerable road users),  existing [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]traffic speed[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT];  [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]road environment [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT](rural, level of road-side development, shop frontages, schools etc., impacts on residents),
30. Before introducing or changing a local speed limit, traffic authorities will wish to satisfy themselves that the expected benefits exceed the costs. Many of the costs and benefits do not have monetary values associated with them, but traffic authorities should include an assessment of the following factors:
collision and casualty savings;  conditions and facilities for vulnerable road users;  impacts on walking and cycling and other mode shift;  congestion and journey time reliability;  environmental, community and quality of life impact, such as
emissions, severance of local communities, visual impact, noise and vibration; and  costs, including of engineering and other physical measures including signing, maintenance and cost of enforcement."

Back