Technical I have a squeeky wheel?

Currently reading:
Technical I have a squeeky wheel?

melliottuk

Hi i have a 1.2 8v Mk2 46K miles punto. Recently one of the wheels has started to squeak and i'm not sure if its the brakes or a wheel bearing.

The sound is very intermittent it comes and goes and tends to make the sound when going round slow left hand bends.

Today i figured out that when the noise is occurring if i touch the brake it goes away then when i release it, it come back. This sounds like the brakes to be but it also does it when going round slow corners when not on the brakes and even round long fast curving motorway roads (although this comes and goes)

Any ideas?

Try taking the wheel off whilst jacked up, then tap any rust off that is around the disk with a hammer, gently, so not to warp or crack the disk. Also while its jacked up grab teh wheel when its on and tight to the hub, and rock the wheel from the top and bottom from side to side, then up and down to check for play, if so is probaby abearing problem, have a friends watch for excess play in teh track-rod ends as some side-ways movement may be due to this and may need replacing anyway!

must be brakes, as when you press the pedal you are making contact with disc and there is no chance of it squeeking.

Common prob, could be a very slightly loose caliper/pads/cylinder wear/ wheelbearing play/disc rotor play etc etc. Or just simply oil or gunk on the discs. take wheel off first and clean rotor, then put wheel bac on and test for bearing play (jack car up and tug on wheel).etc

Thanks for the help, yer im hoping its just brake dust or part of the pad touching the disk or something when cornering

Hi. I'm having exactly the same problem so was wondering if you found a solution and what it was?

ner, i think its due to me taking the wheel off and probably putting it back on on a different position.

My disks where abit scored so i think its probably do to the pad rubbing on the uneven surface of the disks.

When i change the pads i will just do the disks too.

this problem is simply because you have a lip on the discs and they are touching your pads (assuming the discs are old and the pads have been changed since fitting the discs).

New discs and pads will remove this noise however if this this doesnt solve the problem it could also be a leaking shock absorber.

Just take it to a garage and see what they say.

hi,

ive had this problem twice before on my wifes w reg punto,

i hope this helps,it did for me.

the problem is the pads dont retract properly because or rust /carbon build up on the pad housing,mostly the bottom part.

remove the pad and clean the area with a wire brush and sandpaper,apply a little copper grease or similar,replace pads and this should clear it.

as i said ive done this on 2 occations and it worked,and i had the exact same problem,(touching the brakes ever so slight and the noise stopped ,take your foot off and it came back).

good luck

Back