i got a new Job! :)

Currently reading:
i got a new Job! :)

just finished my first week at my new job.

apprentice fitter/engineer at innovia films, wigton!

pay is abysmal for an 18-yr old (£3.25 an hour) but prospects are good (after a few years, you get loads)

atmosphere is great, though. i can deffo stick this for a few years!

this is the alternative to going to uni and being poor for 10 years.

overall: :)

there, just felt that you should all know about it!

Congrats on the new job.

this is the alternative to going to uni and being poor for 10 years.

But, I really resent this sort of opinion. I'm a uni student and have been for two years. Yet I can still afford to run my car, go out with mates, food, normal everyday stuff. It's a typical myth and a opinion generally adopted by those who have not experienced it.

IMO you would have been better off getting a qualification, I wouldn't get out of bed for £3.25 hour- in fact, is that not below minimum wage for a 18 year old?

maintaining the cellulose plant mechanically (dirty job, but so far quite amusing) and last two days ive been helping to fabricate stuff (good fun, its work that ive been doing at home in the workshop for the past umpteen years)
the place is unbelievably big, takes a bit of getting used to.

most of the time, though, ive been tagging along with one of the engineers, who is showing me the stuff he does.

the whole of this next academic year, i will probably be at carlisle tech college :( sounds awful, but at least i still get paid to go to tech!

yes, its £5.55

hmm, might try and see if its because im on the wrong scheme. most of the apprentices are just 16.

and the uni thing? well its not just the debt that im worried about, but id just far rather be working than studying.
it seem like an easy way out compared to uni, (even with bldy tech looming up :bang: ) but i think il still be happy in a few years time. the end result should be the same as if i went to uni anyway, cos it was mechanical engineering that i applied to study in!

and the uni thing? well its not just the debt that im worried about, but id just far rather be working than studying.

it seem like an easy way out compared to uni, (even with bldy tech looming up :bang: ) but i think il still be happy in a few years time. the end result should be the same as if i went to uni anyway, cos it was mechanical engineering that i applied to study in!

You can always do both, that's what I and pretty much everyone I know does. But I guess if you end up doin what you wanna do for the rest of yer life, it don't matter how yer get there (y)

Minimum wage doesn't apply to people who are completing an apprenticeship and the minimum wage for an 18 year old is £4.25 not £5.55, is not even £5.55 for 22 years and older. ;)

Back