Technical I.C.E'D up Stilo

Currently reading:
Technical I.C.E'D up Stilo

Okay, I haven't seen this done on a Stilo before so here goes;
Im planning on installing a mac mini into my Stilo and creating a mould for a flush, factory finish, touch display into the center console. An OBDII connection will provide me with all the system vitals on the display and I plan to skin an OBD program for Nissan GTR-like dials.

I chose the mac mini because its small, low power, already built unlike a lot of carputers and comes standard with things like Bluetooth and WiFi and if you buy a relatively old one like I did, your looking at £150-£200 for the lot.

attachment.php

Fits nicely :p needs a bracket though

attachment.php

Lilliput touch display £160

Now to make the mould, I decided the easiest route to take would be to base the screen around a din fascia and it would be interchangeable between cars. I had a single din lying around so I made an outline where I wanted the screen to sit and set about the fascia with a jigsaw :devil:

attachment.php

Looks a little bit messy but the mould will fill all the gaps and smooth the whole thing out to be flush with the display, the main reason for using the fascia are the runs on the back which makes install into the car just that bit easier.

attachment.php

Chucking a bit of filler on the back to hold it all in place and it will create pockets on the front to work with, if you cant tell, being neat and tidy doesn't matter on the back, just fill up the gaps - you could even let a little cousin help for this bit :p (REMEMBER TO TAPE UP THE VENTS)

The back has dried so now on to the hardest bit of moulding the front of the screen in to the fascia with a nice smooth finish. I've also ordered some 3M Carbon Fibre to wrap the fascia for a nice premium look. I'll update this post once I've finished the front mould and wrapped it in carbon, in the mean time Im still waiting for a power supply to ship from the US which will regulate the power from the battery for the screen and mac and also link up with the ignition for start-up. I've also installed a pretty good audio setup already with upgraded component speakers and a 2000W subwoofer, all connected to a sony bluetooth head unit which will probably be connected to the mini through auxiliary to drive the audio through the car sound system. I'll post up pics of this and more as I get further on with this project (y)

Last edited:
Pictures aren't displaying.

I would love to see how this looks, I love my Macs and would love to see one in my Stilo. Do you have the model number of the touch screen or a link?

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Sorry about that, they just dissapeared :confused: Should be alright now though?:worship:

I got mine of this ebay shop, no problems at all http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lilliput-7-669GL-70NP-C-T-H-Touch-Screen-HDMI-Monitor-/260669967937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb1240e41#ht_5884wt_1141

I was thinking about doing this myself, possibly stick the computer in the glove compartment and find a way to secure it to prevent theft. Wire it up to the speakers and enjoy TV, radio, dvd, internet etc and especially useful for the longer journeys. Although I wasn't sure how the screen could sit flush in the head unit area.

Perhaps there is a touch screen monitor that would fit in a single or double din compartment, one of those motorised folding screens? I'd probably prefer something that would fold away as it could get annoying removing a monitor from the car each time you park up.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I was thinking about doing this myself, possibly stick the computer in the glove compartment and find a way to secure it to prevent theft. Wire it up to the speakers and enjoy TV, radio, dvd, internet etc and especially useful for the longer journeys. Although I wasn't sure how the screen could sit flush in the head unit area.

Perhaps there is a touch screen monitor that would fit in a single or double din compartment, one of those motorised folding screens? I'd probably prefer something that would fold away as it could get annoying removing a monitor from the car each time you park up.

Id imagine it would be difficult to find a flip up monitor with vga, dvi or HDMI. The one's I've seen even up to £500, have been component signal only which wont provide the right connectivity or resolution. There are Lilliputs I believe which are compatible with double din which might be a good bet but you still have risk of theft depending on where your leaving your car. Obviously, I decided moulding a fascia would get the best results for what I wanted but everyone to there own. Im hoping mine will look integrated to the dash by the end which may deterrent opportunists

Pics are still not showing :mad: Well get it sorted if you can pass on which ones are which. This sounds like an interesting project. Somebody has fit a carputer in a stilo and i started to so there is help available if you so need it.

I would be intersted to see what the rest of your system is. The problem that i found when i started to install ws geting a good quality input to the head unit. Its quite expensive but a good quality USB DAC with suitable output will help to insure no loss of quality.

I would be really interested to see if you have any plans to turnk the computer into a processor. Im confident that it can be done and something i need to consider for my own install. I have just been told that i will have to band pass the mid bass at the wrong points due to limitations of my head unit, so i really need a processor.

It's a shame that FiatECUScan source code has never been released, or even if it had API's to access its features. If the carputer idea goes well, it could be connected to the cars ECU premanently and software could be developed that would provide additional features or "aides", allowing the driver to further control parts of the car all through the carputer. It could extend all of the things you see on the dash board and possibly provide some sort of automation to certain features.

Being able to control the in-built speed limit option, view RPM or even have the software make recommendations on changing your driving style for better mpg would be pretty cool.

There already is software to read live information from the ecu. im not sure if there is a mac front end available though. I had to get a nokia n900 so i can use the best software via an ecu key.

I dont think it will be long until the mobile phone will be a viable replacement for the carputer. I am especially looking at the meego platform which is in beta stages right now.

That is weird, I can see the pictures in the thread. Is anyone else not seeing them?
Just a quick update, the OBD to USB cable along with the 3M carbon should be here in the morning. I've had some experience with wrapping before so hopefully the display will be completed and installed by tomorrow evening if all goes well and I'll get some pics up of that. Then its onwards with sorting out the power and getting the dials skinned, hopefully getting hold of some open source skin which someone's already polished.
In regard to the audio, in the short term I'm using just auxiliary into the head unit but Im looking into wiring a separate amp onto the mac at the moment as a viable, long term solution.
Hijacking my own thread a bit :devil: but what are peoples opinions on fly eyes, I whacked some on my car and they've grown on me somewhat. Ive also got Eibach lowering springs due the second half of next week which should correct the horrible roll as standard and hunker the whole thing down 30mm so it doesn't sit like a tractor :p
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 333
id really like to be able to see the pictures, mainly to compare it to mine :p ,but they arent showing up, the ones of the flyeyes are tho....are the carpc ones FF hosted?

EDIT: if you open up the screen and graft the innards onto the back of the double DIN holder, you can fix an 8" touch screen in the dash, i think this is going to prompt me to take a few pic of it lol.

the front end software i use is called CENTRAFUSE, ive tried most of them out there, and this is the most stable (probably because you have to pay for it which means there are some paid developers making it work!) but i dont think this runs on OSX, you might want to have a look at ride runner....the purpose of a front end software is that everything appears in one program...so no window switching, and the whole thing is touch optimised. also im not sure as to the spec of your mac mini, but i would have thought that the lack of "grunt" will provide a problem...ATM im running a dual core with 1GB of RAM and im thinking of an upgrade...and with regards to power consumption, my whole pc is running under 125W and a believe that a post 2010 mac mini runs at 110w....

currently my audio is runnign straight from pc to a vibe delta box for distrubution in the back, got a few noise issues generated by the PC (a computer in a car = noise, FACT) im planning to solve htis with a DAC, sending optical to the back, and using the DAC to conver from optical to RCA. i had the PC - HU - AMP setup before but it was a little "clunky" and having 2 volume settings was annoying, losing the upper glovebox space was annoying, and you have to get a decent HU or you get noise again....

Last edited:
id really like to be able to see the pictures, mainly to compare it to mine :p ,but they arent showing up, the ones of the flyeyes are tho....are the carpc ones FF hosted?

EDIT: if you open up the screen and graft the innards onto the back of the double DIN holder, you can fix an 8" touch screen in the dash, i think this is going to prompt me to take a few pic of it lol.

the front end software i use is called CENTRAFUSE, ive tried most of them out there, and this is the most stable (probably because you have to pay for it which means there are some paid developers making it work!) but i dont think this runs on OSX, you might want to have a look at ride runner....the purpose of a front end software is that everything appears in one program...so no window switching, and the whole thing is touch optimised. also im not sure as to the spec of your mac mini, but i would have thought that the lack of "grunt" will provide a problem...ATM im running a dual core with 1GB of RAM and im thinking of an upgrade...and with regards to power consumption, my whole pc is running under 125W and a believe that a post 2010 mac mini runs at 110w....

currently my audio is runnign straight from pc to a vibe delta box for distrubution in the back, got a few noise issues generated by the PC (a computer in a car = noise, FACT) im planning to solve htis with a DAC, sending optical to the back, and using the DAC to conver from optical to RCA. i had the PC - HU - AMP setup before but it was a little "clunky" and having 2 volume settings was annoying, losing the upper glovebox space was annoying, and you have to get a decent HU or you get noise again....

I just had a thought. I wonder if you are geting an unwanted voltage through the RCA? Have you tried earthing the RCA barrel?
As for Optical > RCA :yuck: Surely when this happens its time to buy amps with optical input :devil:

i tried earthing the barrels, straight after you tried it and posted lol...

i put everything on a expensive spectrum analyzer at work (radio engineering buisness) and the noise is being generated at the PC and is being amplified a serious ammount on its ground plane...and for some reason using a GLI does almost nothing...

do you know of any that wont cost me two limbs? a super hi-fidelity hand made silver solder jobbie DAC, is about $180 from hotaudio...but this is the last problem before it becomes a 100% viable workable solution with no drawbacks...

Ive not really looked into DACS for the car but have been learning about them a bit because i want a semi mobile rig for my earphones.

If your geting noise from grounding then have you tried earthing the Gnd Plane to the ISO harness and then if that fails the chassis. Im not expert on ground loop but what i do know is if you can get the power to disperse before reaching the amp then it should stop the noise.
Although it could be a miss match of impedance within the computers output to what your amp requires. Also the vibe is pretty much amplifying the signal slightly at low level so the noise is being amplified before it even reaches the amplifiers pre amp.
I presume you have tried fiddling with the Delta box at 0 and minus DB settings?

Sorry to the OP for going a bit OT, im sure this will all be useful when you get this far. :)

have a look at hotaudio.com, they got allot of nice DAC type stuff, incl headphone amps....

Yeah tried merging it with the harness, but plumbing it straight to the chassis had the best result (how it is now). delta box is set to the best compromise of noise and amplification....i can whack it up when i want to deafen, but the noise also increases. i would REALLY like to be able to use it noise-free lol. i wouldn't say this is far OT, its all invaluable, as he will come accross these problems in due course, if he doesn't ill go quietly hang myself.....

Not completely done, I want to tidy up the screen boarder and the sanding has brought off some of the colour on the frame so ill either touch it up or extend the carbon all the way to the display

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 260
Back