General I.C.E Installs Finished At Last....

Currently reading:
General I.C.E Installs Finished At Last....

paulbfd said:
I hope that box is properly screwed down or harnesses will be the last of your problems!!!!

My install should be finished in the next couple of weeks (ie, after pay day!)

:yeahthat: You don't want a big lump of wood flying around trying to take your head off (n) Industrial strength velcro won't help, bolts and screws will ;)

Paul, can't wait to see the install finished :)

with two 12" subs? on a cinqs battery?! wouldn't see anything wrong with it. smooth out the performance of the bass

tango said:
with two 12" subs? on a cinqs battery?! wouldn't see anything wrong with it. smooth out the performance of the bass

So tell me........................if a cap is designed to supply extra charge when the system needs it due to insufficient power, where does the cap recharge from? Think about it..................a cap makes no sense. If there's insufficient power then you should either improve the charging system (the big 3, higher output alternator) or get an uprated battery :)

chaos said:
So tell me........................if a cap is designed to supply extra charge when the system needs it due to insufficient power, where does the cap recharge from? Think about it..................a cap makes no sense. If there's insufficient power then you should either improve the charging system (the big 3, higher output alternator) or get an uprated battery :)

Sorry but I think your logic is slightly flawed, you are assuming the whole system is running the electrics to the limit at all times, which is highly unlikely, the caps, in my understanding, provide a leveling of power when a heavy bass note is played - as they can provide instantaneous power when needed - which does not happen that often in music so they can charge in the 'norm' period once charged they are no drain on the system and to be honest the actual drain on the system of them charging is minimal.

Steve

The correct term is decoupling capacitor, as they decouple the current demand from the load from the current supply. Hence when the load goes low the capacitor is charged ready for the next big demand from the load. If you have a constant draw, which an audio application doesnt (as audio is a wave) then the capacitor wouldnt work.

Badger_Benji said:
The correct term is decoupling capacitor, as they decouple the current demand from the load from the current supply. Hence when the load goes low the capacitor is charged ready for the next big demand from the load. If you have a constant draw, which an audio application doesnt (as audio is a wave) then the capacitor wouldnt work.

To be exact, it has sine wave behaviour :)

Knock yourself out kiddies - http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/search.php?searchid=1222519
General concensus...................................
I don't put theory stuff up unless I have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about :)

Last edited:
I'm with Chaos on this one, power caps are not really necessary in most applications.

As an example, I was at a meet with some of the bods from talkaudio.co.uk earlier this month. One member has an RE18 XXX with feck knows how much power going into it and not a power cap insight. What he did have was the engine running and a split charge system with a leisure battery (the things used in caravans) as the 2nd battery.

But this is going OT. It's a nice looking install (I think the cap adds to the "showyness" of it) and Rob should be proud of what he has achieved.

paulbfd said:
and Rob should be proud of what he has achieved.

That he should - it has been skillfully done, and all credit due (y)

Word of warning keep a close eye on those mutant amps. We've had more than a few come back to us either melted around the power terminals or they have fired inside. Might be worth investing in a small fire extinguisher

Rob_Randomcruisers.co.uk said:
the cap helps it stops bat from draining, and light from dimmind when playin loud.

Err............have you looked at the theory I posted up? :) If your battery is constantly drained then it suggests that the battery is not powerful enough to power the system or there is some other descrepancy. A power cap will NOT help battery drain - a power cap recharges itself by drawing power off the battery, which actually compounds your problem (n) If you have a problem with lights dimming then again, you are dealing with insufficient power, which would be better addressed by doing the big 3 and improving battery capacity and alternator input :)

Last edited:
MotorWorldChink said:
Word of warning keep a close eye on those mutant amps. We've had more than a few come back to us either melted around the power terminals or they have fired inside. Might be worth investing in a small fire extinguisher

yup i known about these amps due to workin in mates car audio shop :)

got a extinguisher just incase :)

cheers dude

Back