I am Back!

Currently reading:
I am Back!

AppleSei

RIP L181 VBB
Yes i have returned!

As some of you know i have been competing the £100 banger rally (second year in a row) in the Astra and i am now back home......but sadly i am minus the Astra :cry: :cry: :cry:

Unfortuneatly i had to scrap the car over there :( And twinged with a bit of disappointment in how it occured as well.

But to start with the good news :D Yes it did make it the whole way and crossed the finish line and into the prague parade!!! :slayer:

It never lost any oil and water and never missed a beat the whole way. It was close to 160k by the time i was in Prague but ran as sweet as a nut, and would have had very little trouble in getting me back home via driving it back.

Unfortuneatly during the night proceeding the finish it was broken into and the steering lock had been broken as well as the whole steering and console had been damaged as well as the front door locks. It was repairable, but uneconomical for it to be repaired so unfortuneatly i chose to have it scrapped which was a damn shame in my eyes :(

Due to my cover i had taken out on it i do get my flight re-embursed and removed the tax disc so will get something back :)

But i would still like to raise a toast to L181 VBB for a quite amazing week and for never letting me down, the best crap car i have ever owned :worship:

Picture102.jpg

Picture103.jpg

Picture101.jpg

Would i do it again? Would i do it in an Astra? Course i would ;) However i would go in a team and not solo like this year as it is damn hard work.

No pics im afraid, its all on camcorder however may post it on youtube (y)

OMG are those the wheel covers Helz was selling for ages?!

i hope you brought them back.

well done little astra, your mother would be proud

Well done John (y) shame about the car though ..but goes to prove there are scum bags in other parts of the world as well as the UK :(

poxall astray, no wonder it no come back, you should have took a panda :p

There was talk amongst a few participants that they are considering a fiat panda and even some are being even braver a 126 for next year!

As Dave said its not like the mongolia thing.

Besides it could be flogged back to you lot :p

this is the problem when you get too attached to them :eek: its best to distance yourself from them to avoid later crushing dissapointment.

and yes having your car broken into sucks, but in another country just takes the ****. seems that a much higher percentage of foriegn cars get broken into here/stolen as well in the UK too.
esp in the north, loads of the eastern europena/polish get their cars nicked with a few days/weeks of them being in the UK :( :(

get them pics/video sorted out (y)

and did you get a teammate ATALL in the end or go on your own? you were mena't to be 4/5 of you wasn't there :confused:

I ended up going on my own, i was the only one who completed it on their own, a personal acheivement and a lot of respect gained from fellow competitors, as well as 'legend' status acheived on the VX MK3 forum.

I wouldnt do it again under those circumstances.

driving on your own somewhere is only relaxing to a point. demanding foreign roads, with no let up, and having to keep up with other cars (for navigation purposes) is damn difficult.
that said, I drive MUCH better when I'm on my own, other ppl in the car make me nervous, not distracted, but because if anything happens I don't want to have it hanging over me.

would you say you enjoyed it more with a mate sharing last year?

driving on your own somewhere is only relaxing to a point. demanding foreign roads, with no let up, and having to keep up with other cars (for navigation purposes) is damn difficult.
that said, I drive MUCH better when I'm on my own, other ppl in the car make me nervous, not distracted, but because if anything happens I don't want to have it hanging over me.

It only took a couple of mins to remember what side of the road i was on, traffic wise and in general it was a breeze, most obeyed the speed laws anyway despite the majority having much more powerful cars.

Apart from the first day which was 13 hrs long it was a breeze

In some bits i missed the company and just someone to talk to, however i got to do all the driving and did all the mountain passes and for that it was a much more joyable experience

Back