General I Absolutley Hate my Punto

Currently reading:
General I Absolutley Hate my Punto

JimsPunto

I recently became the very unproud owner of a 2000 a.2 ELX 8V and i have had nothing but problems

Can anyone help with the problem below before i set fire to the car.

The problem is this- The car everynow and then revs up on its own sometimes upto 5k and it happens mainly after the first 20 minutes of driving.

Ive already replaced-

Throttle body
Head Gasket
Water temp Sensor
Airfilter
+ Unrelated stuff
Cambelt And tensioner
Rebuilt Gear Box
Wiper Mechanism

What the hell can it be? It does it mainly when it gets warm and im sick to death of it. I will never buy a Fiat again! Ive searched the forum over and over and nothing comes up other than lamba sensor that i havnt already replaced.

Can anyone please help im desperate to fix the horrible little car so i can sell it.

set fire to it and film it.

post the film, then we'll sell you a mk1.

italians strong point WAS NEVER electrical stuff and it shows on the mk2 (which has electrical everything, hence they go wrong), i am dreading to see what happens with mk3's, they already have a seperate forum page due to the forseen problems:D

had my car over 2years, never had a problem that wasn't a wear part needng replaced/replacing before it needs.

sounds like idle control valve OR potentiometer (if you replaced entire TB then that would have sorted that, unless newer one was duff too, seem to be common to go) OR there is a problem with the air system on the engine.

its quite common for a vacuum leak to occur which can render the car virtually undrivable or not even run

i'm going to try this.. cos i'm sure the ICV can't flow enough air to rev that high.. but i'm quite happy to prove myself wrong. my cinquecento has the nearest engine to that.. so i'll remove the valve on that and fire it up.

suppose the 8v doesnt have fly by wire throttle though does it?

JimsPunto said:
I recently became the very unproud owner of a 2000 a.2 ELX 8V and i have had nothing but problems

Can anyone help with the problem below before i set fire to the car.
Can anyone please help im desperate to fix the horrible little car so i can sell it.

I can't help you, but I do sympathises... I have had many problems with my punto too. Now the head gasket has blown and I'm just angry :mad:

replace the MAF or the TPS (depending on how your car works) and you should be good to go

Back