Technical Humming noise coming from front

Currently reading:
Technical Humming noise coming from front

akurekin

Hi, I have got humming noise from the the front part of my car. It's Fiat Grande Punto Active petrol, 1.4 8v. The noise disappears at neutral. It is not getting louder at higher speed, but I can hear it at acceleration and even louder when breaking by motor. Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, I have got humming noise from the the front part of my car. It's Fiat Grande Punto Active petrol, 1.4 8v. The noise disappears at neutral. It is not getting louder at higher speed, but I can hear it at acceleration and even louder when breaking by motor. Any help will be very helpful.

Thanks

Gearbox or clutch.. ?

Same noise in reverse ??

The noise disappears when clutch is engaged, and also when the motor speed is aligned with the wheels. No problems with changing gears. In reverse it makes some noise as it always did. The car made 80k miles.

Is there any way to diagnose that this is gear box?

Here is the link to the video:

The car passed MOT 3 months ago, no issues reported. What else would you like to know?

Thanks.

That does not appear to follow revs and appears to be some plastic part getting loose and rubbing against something. A radiator fan can also make a hell of a noise. But it could just be the stabilizer bar bushings. A little silicone oil in there could make it all quiet for a while.

Inner cv joints it could be when you accelerate it should make vibrations and some sound.

The noise reapers when I accelerate and decelerate. It cannot be a plastic part as does not take place at neutral. Quite a puzzle. I'll make new videos with more clear recordings of the noise.

I have attached another audio recording of the noise. In the middle of it the noise disappears and reappears again when I remove the foot from accelerator.

Attachments

• VID_20230319_110647.mp3
    417.9 KB
I have attached another audio recording of the noise. In the middle of it the noise disappears and reappears again when I remove the foot from accelerator.
That sounds like a bearing grinding to me. As suggested above possibly the clutch release bearing (thrust bearing) especially if you're the sort of person who sits in traffic with your foot on the clutch rather than taking the car out of gear. It is however really hard to hear on the video anything. And its not sure what you are reporting in the MP3 you posted, but I think there is the sound of a grinding bearing in there.

Sometimes the sound goes away when you push the clutch in as you're putting pressure on the bearing and things stop rattling and grinding, as soon as your foot is off the clutch everything becomes sloppy again and move around and grind.

Back