Technical Huge oil leak from Intake Mainfold Stilo Abarth Selespeed

Currently reading:
Technical Huge oil leak from Intake Mainfold Stilo Abarth Selespeed

Meriton

Hi dear members,

I'm facing a huge problem with oil leak in my engine Fiat Stilo Abarth 2.4 selespeed, I have oil leak in very high amount coming from intake mainfold, I was at two mechanics at least and they told me that they have no idea from where is coming the oil (things checked Head gasket - No Leak- intake mainfold gasket -No Leak) so it seems to come from inside the mainfold, engine is running well I don't have any symptom while driving but leaking is not good in a high amount especially coming from that side it is penetrating inside the starter that is underneath the leak, I'm gonna attach a photo of abarth engine it's not mine engine to be clear I took it on google just for illustration and I have made red marks just to show you the leaking area.

Hope to get any advise from you that maybe someone had the same issue.

Best regards,

Attachments

• Leak.jpg
    Leak.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 193
Hi

You have 3 possibilities left since head gasket is "fine"

1. Tapped cover gasket.
2. Rings is bad, so pressuring oil sump, which in turn:
2a. Let oil blow via breather pipe from tapped cover to air intake before throttle body.
2b. Let oul blow via breather pipe from tapped cover to intake manifold after throttle body.
3. Oil pressure sensor T piece unit leaking and spraying oil left and up to bottom of Intake manifold. Can be cu ring or o rings that has perrised.

Test 1 for possibility 2, by removing oil fill cap and while reving the motor see if a lot of pressure is present ( try and close hole with palm) also check if oil is spitting out, there should be no pressure / very little and almost no oil spitting out.
Test 2 for possibility 2, remove pipe ebtering throttle body and see if the throttle body is soaked or dry, should be dry.

I think it might just be a tapped cover gasket put in wrong or time for new one

Last edited:
Can you please attach a photo of "tapped cover gasket" I'm not sure which one is that gasket because last year I've replaced the gasket that seals the top part of engne that part where oil tap can be found so Im not sure if we are talkin about same thing

Hi

You have 3 possibilities left since head gasket is "fine"

1. Tapped cover gasket.
2. Rings is bad, so pressuring oil sump, which in turn:
2a. Let oil blow via breather pipe from tapped cover to air intake before throttle body.
2b. Let oul blow via breather pipe from tapped cover to intake manifold after throttle body.
3. Oil pressure sensor T piece unit leaking and spraying oil left and up to bottom of Intake manifold. Can be cu ring or o rings that has perrised.

Test 1 for possibility 2, by removing oil fill cap and while reving the motor see if a lot of pressure is present ( try and close hole with palm) also check if oil is spitting out, there should be no pressure / very little and almost no oil spitting out.
Test 2 for possibility 2, remove pipe ebtering throttle body and see if the throttle body is soaked or dry, should be dry.

I think it might just be a tapped cover gasket put in wrong or time for new one

Do you mean about this rubber gasket , I've replaced it last year could it be installed wrong ?

Attachments

• gasket rubber.PNG
    gasket rubber.PNG
    54.4 KB · Views: 34
Yes, this is the " Tappet cover gasket " I were talking about,

It is easy to twist or pinch the rubber during installation, mine started leaking badley after 10 months. So I ordered a new one and also saw were I made a mistake during the installation while changing.

Ps. I am sure people read to quickly and saw a d in stead of a t at the end of tappe... ?

Yes, this is the " Tappet cover gasket " I were talking about,

It is easy to twist or pinch the rubber during installation, mine started leaking badley after 10 months. So I ordered a new one and also saw were I made a mistake during the installation while changing.

Ps. I am sure people read to quickly and saw a d in stead of a t at the end of tappe... ?

You made me suspect really on this one, tonight I have removed the hose that goes from engine head or "tapped cover" as you said :D to intake manifold after throttle body and it had clearly signs of oil inside and was wet fresh after i made a ride, than I removed the main air intake hose and I checked before throttle body was dry no signs of oil but when I've opened it on the other side there was signs of oil, so it seems oil i coming from the hose mentioned before and slowly penetrating to intake mainfold and droping down to the engine, but I can not understand the hose pipe is inside the border of the gasket anyway how can it stop the oil penetrating to it or how can oil go outside ?

In English that's normally referred to as a cam or Rocker cover gasket for future reference

There are several names referred to this part such as : Head rocker cover gasket, head cover, cover gasket cylinder head, top cam gasket etc, but officially based on epper it says only gasket etc :D

You need to work out whether the oil is coming from the inside of the inlet manifold or just the engine generally.

If oil is leaking out of the engine somewhere (rocker cover?), then that's a sealing issue and usually not too tricky to fix.

If you have oil inside the inlet manifold then it can only be coming from the crankcase breather, if the engine is running okay.

Either the engine oil level is too high, or the crankcase is being pressurised and is blowing the oil out, which can only come from a head gasket or valve sealing issue.

Clean out the inlet manifold to get rid of the residual oil, then check the oil level in the sump. If it's on "MAX" it may be worth letting out 200ml (half a Coca-Cola can) so that the level drops to around 75-80%. That will give the oil more "air" inside the crankcase so it will be less likely to be blown out.

But also, sometime soon, try to get a compression test done.

If you have a leaking head gasket, or (less likely.. ) a valve sealing issue, you will notice that one cylinder has a lower compression than the other cylinders. Either of these issues will need the head to come off to fix, so it's going to be a case of "how bad is the problem?" before you decide when to fix it.

If the problem is very minor, then just running a slightly lower oil level might reduce the amount of oil being blown out into the manifold and you can not really worry about it.. but you know that it won't fix itself and will only eventually get worse... so next cam-belt time might be a good time to resolve it.

Hopefully it's just too much oil.... :D

Ralf S.

You need to work out whether the oil is coming from the inside of the inlet manifold or just the engine generally.

If oil is leaking out of the engine somewhere (rocker cover?), then that's a sealing issue and usually not too tricky to fix.

If you have oil inside the inlet manifold then it can only be coming from the crankcase breather, if the engine is running okay.

Either the engine oil level is too high, or the crankcase is being pressurised and is blowing the oil out, which can only come from a head gasket or valve sealing issue.

Clean out the inlet manifold to get rid of the residual oil, then check the oil level in the sump. If it's on "MAX" it may be worth letting out 200ml (half a Coca-Cola can) so that the level drops to around 75-80%. That will give the oil more "air" inside the crankcase so it will be less likely to be blown out.

But also, sometime soon, try to get a compression test done.

If you have a leaking head gasket, or (less likely.. ) a valve sealing issue, you will notice that one cylinder has a lower compression than the other cylinders. Either of these issues will need the head to come off to fix, so it's going to be a case of "how bad is the problem?" before you decide when to fix it.

If the problem is very minor, then just running a slightly lower oil level might reduce the amount of oil being blown out into the manifold and you can not really worry about it.. but you know that it won't fix itself and will only eventually get worse... so next cam-belt time might be a good time to resolve it.

Hopefully it's just too much oil.... :D

Ralf S.
Hi Ralf

First I want to thank you for all these proposals, my car is at mechanic from the morning so I'I'm waiting from him any news about the situation, to be honest the only reason that I've sent at mechanic was that I have no Car Elevator so I can check under it what's going on otherwise I know much better about my car's engine than these mechanics here in mt City anyway, the only thing that I suspect is that intake breathe hose that goes from top of engine to intake mainfold becauee yesterday when I removed is was wet and had sings of oil in it, maybe this started long time ago but during the small ammount penetrating it was acumulated at intake mainfold so now started leaking, Yesterday Mechanik has done visually test of compresson by removen the cap and checking from pressure coing outside or oil I was there and the was ni sign of oil going out of the cap neather air going out so it seemed good, maybe my garage is not flat surface and I'm filling incorrectly with oil I'll try youre Idea if mechanic can't do anything.

By the way gasket on the top plastic cover was replaced last year, there are no signs of head gasket leaking there are bo sign of mixing oil and collant (sign of bad head gasket) engine is running smoothly also oil pressure after 20 min engine is started oil temperature increases pressure drops at mediana point.

Let see thanx again for your advises and sorry If my englisht is bad I'm not english :)

It doesn't sound like a pressure problem then.. so I guess it's just oil accumulating inside the inlet manifold from vent mist and then finding a way to leak out.

In the old days the crankcase vent was usually attached to the airbox, so that whenever you changed the air filter you could easily wipe away any oil that was collecting... but since injection/emissions got more stringent, it seems the vent is attached to the inlent manifold, so you need to remove the throttle body to get near it.... and no mechanic will really bother to do that, since it's not really causing any problems.

Running slightly lower oil will reduce the oil build-up.. but you need to keep an eye on the level more carefully, especially if your car uses oil a bit.

Ralf S.

It doesn't sound like a pressure problem then.. so I guess it's just oil accumulating inside the inlet manifold from vent mist and then finding a way to leak out.

In the old days the crankcase vent was usually attached to the airbox, so that whenever you changed the air filter you could easily wipe away any oil that was collecting... but since injection/emissions got more stringent, it seems the vent is attached to the inlent manifold, so you need to remove the throttle body to get near it.... and no mechanic will really bother to do that, since it's not really causing any problems.

Running slightly lower oil will reduce the oil build-up.. but you need to keep an eye on the level more carefully, especially if your car uses oil a bit.

Ralf S.

Update !

Last night I took my car from that mechanic, he told me that he couldn't find any other suspect leaking area except from the hose attached here from intake mainfold, he told me that he had put new clamp on it cleaned the surface, and according to him , after throttle body there was oil inside for sure coming fro vent mist, I'm glad there was no leak from any of engine gaskets, this could be accumulated long time ago so maybe after cleaning some time it will not leak oil from that area.

Thanx again !

Attachments

• mainfold fiat forum.jpg
    mainfold fiat forum.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 86
  • Inkedengine fiati forum_LI.jpg
    Inkedengine fiati forum_LI.jpg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 65
Hi.. sounds promising..

1 question.. do you park on unevenground.. up on a kerb?

Seems strange the oil is in 1 corner..

Charlie

I park mostly in a flat surface in front of my office, also at home in my garage which is flat surface, today I removed inlet manifold its seems that oil came during these years from oi vapor hose that is connected from the engine and now it found some ways to go out of the manifold there were also other areas with oil in mainfold not just the hose mentioned in previous picutres, I cleaned it well with degreaser so I don't believe that for some time it will leak again, I was happy that none of gaskets were faulty :D

Regards,

Back