Technical How to wire a custom sub to factory fitted radio

Currently reading:
Technical How to wire a custom sub to factory fitted radio

micheloe

Hi,

I've hooked up a custom sub to the standard radio (incl. Blue&Me) by using the same connector the factory fitted sub is hooked up with. This is how I did it:

In the boot on the right, you can unscrew the sidepanel on the top. After that, you can create some space between the sidepanel and the car body. You will find the sub connector behind it. This is what the connector looks like:

The pins of this connector are as follows:
Code:
  1 3 4   5 7
 +------+----+
 |0 0 0 | 0 0|
 |0 +---+ 0 0|
 +--+---+----+
  2       6 8
  1. Remote 12V+; switched (grey)
  2. Continuous 12V+ (red/white)
  3. Shield (-) (black)
  4. not connected
  5. Speaker right - (blue/black)
  6. Speaker right + (blue/red)
  7. Speaker left - (orange/black)
  8. Speaker left + (red/grey)
I've cut off the factory connector and replaced it with my own, so I can easily take out the sub and amplifier.

Make sure the amp you connect supports high/speaker level inputs, preferrably with adjustable input sensitivity. Also be very careful when cutting the continuous 12V+ wire! Make sure the car is switched off when cutting wires and connecting them again and avoid shorting this wire to the car's body. The continuous 12V wire should be able to provide about 12V/15A which equals ~180W consumed power. There's also an extra (switched) 12V wire available in the boot on the left sidepanel (for the external 12V in boot option) if needed. This is how it looks like in my GP:

The amplifier is a Kenwood KAC-6203. The sub is just something I had lying around and has 2x8" woofers. It's nothing fancy, but I'm satisfied with the result.

Kind regards,
Michel

Hi Berlic,

I've got the standard radio (without MP3). The right button on the head unit is the "menu button". I indeed had the remote 12V and speakers signals there right away, so I haven't touched anything around the dash, just in the boot.

Judging by your post (and the one on the italian forum) it indeed looks as if a different connector elsewhere in the car is not connected. Unfortunately I have no idea where this connector would be. :(

FWIW, I'm driving a GP model Emotion 1.9mJTD.

Good luck,
Michel

Back