My sisters 500 was becoming a real swine to start so i went on a diagnostic fault finding hunting session..

Having done a load test of the battery to chassis then battery to engine block there was a high resistance problem between the battery / Chassis and the engine / gear box... ( a normal multi meter wouldn't show the fault but it jumped out when a 100a load was applied)

So first the earth strap in question there are 2 on the 500 the one i worked on is a 1.2 with start stop....

the upper cable which includes the quick release for the Battery sensor post is part number #00518676930

And the lower chassis to gear box link which i found at fault is Part number # 00517440280

But its not easy to get at so here we go......

P1000756.JPG

tools needed

Safety glasses

rubber gloves (both for handling battery)

insulation tape

Socket set with 13 mm socket and extension bar

Long nose pliers

small wire brush

10 mm combination spanner

battery terminal grease

Release oil if needed

Battery terminal grease (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

underseal or cavity wax ((optional))

And new earth strap

P1000758.JPG

P1000760.JPG

Open bonnet and remove the quick release negative post by pressing the red button and pulling it upwards

P1000761.JPG

Next remove the NEGATIVE battery sensor with a 10 mm spanner (( ITS always good practice to remove the negative post first on a negative earth vehicle))

DO NOT LEAVE THE SENSOR DANGLING PLACE IT ON THE SCUTTLE TO AVOID DAMAGING THE WIRING

P1000762.JPG

remove the live cable in the same way and tuck out the way

P1000763.JPG

Ideally now use a bit of tape to insulate the battery terminals whilst its off the car....

Using a 13mm socket undo the battery retaining clamp and strap
P1000764.JPG

Then take care and lift the battery out of the car (its heavy)

then use the needle nose pliers to release the cable clips at the back of the battery tray

P1000765.JPG

Next remove the plastic liner and drain tube ((TAKE CARE THIS MIGHT HAVE ACID ON IT IF THE BATTERY HAS LEAKED IN THE PAST))

P1000766.JPG

Now remove the 2 bolts and 1 nut holding the metal battery tray in place using a 13mm socket

P1000767.JPG

now we are slowly getting somewhere ;)

Now remove the clutch slave using a 13 mm socket and ease it out of the way

P1000768.JPG

Now you can get to the gear box end of the cable and undo the 13 mm nut

P1000769.JPG

next undo the 13mm bolt on the chassis leg which also holds the upper earth cable

P1000771.JPG

You can see the level of oxidisation which has been causing the problems....

P1000755.JPG

So now its off

clean all the contact areas with a wire brush

i packed the new cable with Battery grease to protect it from moisture in the future

P1000776.JPG

i sprayed plenty in till it came out the other end then wiggled the plastic sleeve about to spread it about inside and repeated a couple of times

P1000775.JPG

once refitted cover all terminals and crimp lugs when tight as well

P1000777.JPG

and put back together..

REMEMBER DO NOT

over tighten clutch slave its only plastic... and ensure the ball joint on the piston sits into the clutch actuator arm...

also live terminal on first then negative

then blather the battery terminals with grease

Hopefully thats the problem cured :slayer:

Big thanks to Neil at Sturgess Motor Group for getting me the part delivered for a great price....

This guide will also be useful for the Panda and the new Ford KA as its the same set up but stoneacre wanted the best part of £30 for the cable from the ford part system :ROFLMAO: