Technical How to remove aircon?

Currently reading:
Technical How to remove aircon?

RuiG

Hey experts :cool:

I might be taking the aircon out of my Cinquecento Sporting and sell it.

My car is one of those rare Cinqs: aircon, stearingwheel with airbag (was used already so it's not there anymore but I have one to install), no electric windows and electric headlights, etc, etc.

My question: how do I remove the aircon? What sort of implications will it have on the engine since it seems to have a belt attatched to it (running free when aircon is not in use)? Do I have to change any of the engine parts/wheels on passenger side of the engine?

I'll need to remove the extra radiator, belts and other mechanisms that control the aircon, piping and wires, "gas/cooling" tank, dash buttons... will I be able to remove it all and gather a set ready to sell? What sort of price should I aim for when selling?

Aircon is really weak (it's loaded as I've checked), heavy, hardly ever used and nothing beats two open windows at 100mph :D

Have fun.

Last edited:
dont think anyone can really put a price on it as we dont have many cars with it and never seen a set come up for sale in the UK

as for really weak but loaded, you probably need everything serviced, not using it probably isnt doing you any favours

Aircon in a Cento is a bit like carrying ice on the desert, it's more psychological cooling than anything else :D

It's fun to have it rolling on the highway, right foot to the floor and turning it off... it's a 25shot of NOS :cool:

So any ideas if I might need to change any exterior engine parts after I remove it?

where does the compressor sit? assume front of engine, and it takes drive from the aux drive pulley. is it the same belt as the alternator, or a seperate one? if same belt then you'll need a shorter belt and possibly a non-air con pulley and alternator.

post some pictures of the compressor, its mounts, and its drive.

where does the compressor sit? assume front of engine, and it takes drive from the aux drive pulley. is it the same belt as the alternator, or a seperate one? if same belt then you'll need a shorter belt and possibly a non-air con pulley and alternator.

post some pictures of the compressor, its mounts, and its drive.

I think it's the same belt and all the stuff sits on passenger side of the engine (driver side if you're right hand driving). I've been looking at some Fiat parts that mention with/without air con and there's a few of them to change.

Will post pictures when rain stops.

Some prices I found
Air con compressor: from 450 to 750
Air con condensator/radiator: from 200 to 500
Air con high pressure switch: about 100
Air con belts: from 10 to 20
Air con alternator: from 150 to 350
(all in euros)

On those parts only, even if used, that's a lot of money.

So looking at parts references, I'll need new belt (form 10 to 20 euros), new alternator (about 150 euros) and the pulley (haven't figured out what that part is after translated to portuguese but I assume it's one of those wheels where the belts sit :p)

Just an add-up.

I've been looking at EPER for all the Air Con parts and it's scary :eek:

Safest way to go is advertising first and taking it apart after (and be able to show new owner it works).

Not really sure on how much to charge for it. 250 euros? Any ideas?

Cheers for all the help and info (y)

Will start advertising next week and see how much I can get for it and work out if it's worth after deducting prices for new parts.

i think that you can ask up to 500 euro for it but you have to know that it is very hard to remove the aircon and keep the car fully functional.the only way to make it work is to do a direct transplant from your car to the other in order to take from the other car everything needed to make your car functional again

Back