Styling How to get my gear knob off! ?

Currently reading:
Styling How to get my gear knob off! ?

San

I got bought a nice new shiny Ripspeed gear knob for Xmas...but how the heck do I get the old one off? It wont unscrew. 98 Punto. Any help appreciated :)

cinqysxmk2 said:
I pulled the gearknob off, if you put it in 4th and pull up and back, it should come off...

Once mine was off I hacksawed about 3" off the shaft anyway but that's another story

same =)

Im just frightened of getting the hacksaw on it lol. What if it dont work? I'll be knobless! I'll get bf to try the 4th gear idea....Thx guys :)

cinqysxmk2 said:
It's a push down reverse, the whole shaft moves down, not just the knob

Ah like the cinq then, just wondering cuz my 2b is a lift up reverse so there is no cutting the shaft down for me, instead I will have to do things the proper way and by a B&M short shifter

well I have tried in a breakers yard to get one off with the biggest mole grips I could get my hands on, it worked pretty well, but there wasn;t much left of the knob when it came off (just twisted it one way, then the other, then it was almost off!!). I wanted to fit a leather one from a fiat coupe that a friend was breaking, tried the mole grip technique and couldn't get any purchase on it (used an old teeshirt to protect it), even with a zip tie around it, and then a length of mild steel piping, just kept slipping off, was quite peeved too as the near bear shell (except whole dash and rear seats, rear sub frame and wiring harness etc) got crushed today :( Maybe I should have just hacksawed it off just to make sure!

is your Gear knob same as this one?
gearknob0vz.jpg

Back