General How to fit new bottom ball joints?

Currently reading:
General How to fit new bottom ball joints?

I am replacing the bottom ball joints on my y10 project. Have managed to get the old ones out but am struggling to get the new ones in.

Any tips?

Thanks

If it's the same as the Panda like so;

driveshaft_hub.jpg

it would be easier to change the hub carrier and ball joint as one item. Ball joints such as these are notoriously difficult to change without the right tooling. These are not expensive (mine cost £18 from my local motor factor) and will save you a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

Ideally you would use a press, but even then it's not that straight forward because the bracket gets in the way.

But you can do it with out a press.

If you have a vice, and you are creative with balancing scrap bits of metal you should be able to push it in.

Failing that, use a large persuader (hammer) and a drift, to get the right angle, and smack it. Be careful to supporting it as you can bend the carrier, though you can always hammer it straight again. Heating the carrier with a blow torch before fitting should help too, but be even more careful about supporting it as it will bend more easily.

I came unstuck with this as well. After a day of rather colourful language trying to get the thing in I called a few local tyre and exhaust fitters. Supa tyres had a hydraulic press and did both sides in minutes for £10. One of the best tenners I've spent.

it would be easier to change the hub carrier and ball joint as one item. Ball joints such as these are notoriously difficult to change without the right tooling. These are not expensive (mine cost £18 from my local motor factor) and will save you a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

Erm... Don't be hard on me but I got mine off FIAT for 97 quid... :eek:

Please make me feel better and tell me that mine is 5 x better? :p

Jim

Attachments

• 18022009601.jpg
    18022009601.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Spot on guys. Several options to try. As I have bought the ball joints already, I will try the forceful appoach. If that doesn't work then I will go for the complete hub units.

Cheers
Dave

you must use a press, dont try hammer or nothing like that, they will fall out when you are driving along

:confused: only if you are some kind of hammer happy animal, have persuaded them in before with the tapping from a hammer, all i'll say is dont be too heavy handed.

:confused: only if you are some kind of hammer happy animal, have persuaded them in before with the tapping from a hammer, all i'll say is dont be too heavy handed.

I agree. The important thing is to try and be even, more gentle taps, fewer heavy smacks. It's important to try and knock it in evenly too. Don't hammer in one side first then do the other. Hammer it evenly so it goes in as straight as possible.

I have hammered in at least three in this way (careful buying cheap South American ball joints, they don't last) and touch wood I haven't had any fall out.

Just add to the tips already, when I did my Y10/ Firefly rebuild I put the ball units in the freezer over nite and warmed the carrier up a bit. used some very large sockets and a big vice and hard wood blocks, no probs.(y)

Back