General How not to drive in the wet... (+ Question)

Currently reading:
General How not to drive in the wet... (+ Question)

My baby is broken :(

I was driving to work and i'd just unlocked the driveway gate to the carpark, and being late, i rushed down the drive. into a slight right-hand bend, backend slid left, i steered left but it was too late and smacked into the curb. Ironically, if i'd have done the opposite of what your supposed to and steered against the skid, the car would have probably just spun and i'd still have perfectly good rear axel and wheels (minus some rubber.)
I'm not gonna make any bullsh!t excuses- i was driving too fast for the road conditions in the hope i might be 30sec less late than i already was. I am so p!ssed off with myself right now. :mad:

Anyway, the question is- this guy is selling a rear axel on ebay. He says it will fit any MK1 punto, but isn't certain. Will it? (mines a 60)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PUNTO-REAR-AX...6QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10382QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

P.S. don't get me wrong, i dont drive like a d!ck on public roads- No points or claims, I'd just opened the driveway gates so i knew i was the only one there. Never gonna be rushing to work again. If im late, im late.

Attachments

• IMAG0008.JPG
    IMAG0008.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0010.JPG
    IMAG0010.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0011.JPG
    IMAG0011.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You must have been travling at some speed to do that, i aint no angel i drove drunk when i just passed and i smacked onto a kerb doin around 25mph and drove along the pavement, and there was no damage lucky enough, but ever since that i aint done it, yeah the roads tonight are pretty bad very greasy i was sliding about mad this evening.

Not really- a good 3hrs away. Thinking of just going to a scrappies instead so i can check the condition if it before i buy.

I was probly doing 35ish, but it was downhill too, so i didnt seem to loose any speed even after hitting the curb. The curb down the driveway is quite tall too so it didnt mount, just smacked it and bounced away - probly have increased the damage that way.

Lookign back, i think i got off pretty easy. If the front had have hit, it wudda cost waaaay more.

Last edited:
Not really- a good 3hrs away. Thinking of just going to a scrappies instead so i can check the condition if it before i buy.

I was probly doing 35ish, but it was downhill too, so i didnt seem to loose any speed even after hitting the curb. The curb down the driveway is quite tall too so it didnt mount, just smacked it and bounced away - probly have increased the damage that way.

Lookign back, i think i got off pretty easy. If the front had have hit, it wudda cost waaaay more.

where do you live then any where near me?

Dunno, is Bradford anywhere near you? If you are, do you know anywhere/anyone who will have a complete rear axel and not rip me off :yum:

Tried to take the rear axel off tonight and its been a pain in the ass. Only got one bolt left to shift but im completely knackered - i have a feeling this one will snap tho like the last one did :( The head of the bolt is moving slightly but from under the rear seats, i can feel the rest of the bolt isn't moving at all - theres a groove down the side of the bolt and it hasn't turned. Tried the good ol' WD40 with no luck. Tried untighten-tighten-untighten etc but still refusing to budge. Might just have to snap it and drill it out like im gonna have to with the other.

lol decron it aint that bad, the springs and shock have both rusted where the paints flaked off but thats about all :) rest of the cars in pretty good shape for a 9yr old :)

Done! now to find and fit a new one :)

Tried undoing the last bolt off a good hour - wouldn't budge. Couldn't even snap it, eventually, several ruined sockets later and a rounded head left on the bolt, i ended up getting the angle grinder to it. after i'd cut it off, the rest of the thread unscrewed by hand :)
Manage to get the other snapped bolt out too with a pair of pliers. Checked the threads, all good :D

Back