General How much?

Currently reading:
General How much?

How much do you think it would be to fit a new front nearside wing to a 2008 Panda? It is silver in colour?

My mum today had someone drive into her in an Asda carpark and then drive off without leaving details :mad:

My mum is now driving me mad as she has decided she'll just take it to a garage and have it repaired at her own cost to avoid the hassle :bang:

I've advised her to call the police and report the accident first and foremost as the other driver has left the scene of an accident without reporting it. But once done the police will be able to look at the CCTV of the carpark and identify the culprits and their registration number. She can even make the job of trawling the CCTV easy as she was only in the shop about 20mins.

I've then told her that once the other driver is found her car will be fixed free of charge and all costs covered by the other driver and their insurance. She also gets the satisfaction of the other driver being charged with the appropriate offence.

But she still doesn't want the hassle (she's always been like this and always chooses the nice, quiet option on everything) and is adament in paying for the repair herself.

She even contemplated going through her insurance and just claiming it was vandalised through the night at home :rolleyes: Which I've, hopefully, talked her out of as she then enters the whole insurance fraud area which I won't let her do for something that originally wasn't her fault.

What is it with mums?? Who'd have them :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If its not one thing, its your mother!!

A mate of mine got his car dinged in a B&Q carpark and despite all the "customers park at thier own risk" signs, they contributed to the cost of the repair. I would get back on her case and get her back down to Asda. What's the worst that can happen - they tell her to sod off - unlikely.

As to the repair, even if it is repairable rather than a replacement, she will be looking at several hundred pounds. If it does need a new wing, it will still need spraying and will cost a lot more. If she did go down the insurance route she doesn't have to lie about how it was done but she will lose some no claims bonus (unless she is protected) and have to pay the excess.

If its not one thing, its your mother!!

A mate of mine got his car dinged in a B&Q carpark and despite all the "customers park at thier own risk" signs, they contributed to the cost of the repair. I would get back on her case and get her back down to Asda. What's the worst that can happen - they tell her to sod off - unlikely.

As to the repair, even if it is repairable rather than a replacement, she will be looking at several hundred pounds. If it does need a new wing, it will still need spraying and will cost a lot more. If she did go down the insurance route she doesn't have to lie about how it was done but she will lose some no claims bonus (unless she is protected) and have to pay the excess.

You don't know my mum. When she makes her mind up she makes her mind up :mad:

She's made her mind up she's taking it to a local panel beater on Monday for a quote. It'll be a botch, cheap repair likely that'll she'll sanction and it'll probably look worse when repaired. Than just now. She has 12 years no claims as well which she stands to lose. I've told her to take the option to protect them but her being her it's a case of 'ah it doesn't matter if I lose them' all because it's a little more hassle to call up her insurance and ask them to chage them to protected. Arrrggghhhhhh!!!!!

I've had a look and it would never be right unless it's fully replaced.

I've told her to not expect much if any change out of £500 to have it repaired but she'll take it to a backstreet garage who'll try and fix it for £50 or something :rolleyes:

She's always been the type with the attitude of 'oh that'll do!!' :bang:

I could strangle her sometimes :p

What annoys me most is some tw*t is sitting at home tonight with not a care in the world after damaging someone elses car in a carpark. Probably some idiot with no insurance in the first place who'll be back out on the road tomorrow and end up killing someone :mad:

Last edited:
Well I went into Asda today to speak to the manager and explain the situation. He was very helpful and although admitted he couldn't just hand over CCTV footage to me he did get a security guard to look over the CCTV of the period of time my mum was instore whilst I sat in the instore cafe and had a complimentary cup of coffee to which he made sure I didn't pay for :).

After about 20mins he came down to meet me and said that he had the car registration, make and model that caused the damage. He said that the male driver had reversed into the bay next to my mums car and reversed into the side of her car. He got out and inspected the damage before getting in his car again and driving off.

He said he would contact the police and report the matter for me and took my name and phone number to pass on to the police also.

Literally 15 mins after I left the store the police called me and asked to visit me and mainly my mum at home.

They arrived at my home about 30mins later and by then had traced the registered keeper of the car and were leaving our house to visit the registered address after they had taken a statement from my mum and inspected the damage to her car.

We got a call tonight to tell us they had arrested the driver due to currently being banned from driving. Thankfully the driver was the son of the cars owner and the true owner of the car has passed on his details to the police and asked that they pass them on to my mum and make sure she gets it all sorted via his insurance.

Result! And a big thumbs up to Asda's customer service

Last edited:
That is a really great result!....Well done ASDA indeed! (and well done to the Police!) (y)

(And there I was, ready to post that a new bumper and bracing bar on our Panda, fitted and painted, was over £600!)

It's nice to hear when it all goes well and a big thumbs up to Asda and the Police :D

Chris

ps - Hope your Mum's learnt that the nice quiet option isn't always the right option :ROFLMAO:

I'm delighted for your mum, delighted at how Asda, the Police and the car's owner handled the whole issue and have learnt a great deal from this post as to what to do if the same happens to me in the future.
If I had been in this situation, I think I would have put the damage down to fate and arranged repair myself, much as your mother was planning to do.

Back