General How much? The cost of new keys...

Currently reading:
General How much? The cost of new keys...

Dawader

I am in the process of thinking about getting a new key cut for my Mark 2 (2000 reg) sporting Punto and I'm baffled by the price differences from dealers and this site.

Does anyone have any up to date costs for getting new keys (including programming) for remote and non-remote keys?

I have spoken to two dealers in the area (South Coast) and been quoted £162.15 and £183.45 for remote keys (inc. programming) and £126.50 & £146 for non-remote keys (all inclusive of VAT)

I've also seen on the forum posts that fiat owners have been quoted £99.36 + VAT for remote & £69.45 + VAT for non-remote and £160 for two remote keys (inc programming). Where are they getting these bargains or is it the standard price?

What are the latest prices and am I able to get my dealer to drop the price at all?

I just want to understand if I have any bargaining power as this seems mightily expensive for a spare key!! Any advice here would be useful. Just been stung for a clutch replacement so would rather not have to pay nearly £200 on a key.

Thanks

go to a key cutting shop there bout £40 maybe not even that most shops carry the chipped keys if the first shop you try doesnt have it then try the next no point paying over the odds x

Thanks for the advice Charlene but I don't think it is as simple as that :(. This thread from Sultan suggests that because I have a mk2 car it has a rolling code on it (although how can I confirm which code type I have 1 or 2?) and therefore a key cutting place won't help as it will destroy my existing key?

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/131446-punto-mk2-code-2-roling-code-keys-please-read.html

Can anyone else confirm this? I wish it was only £40 I have to pay.

On the base of the metal part of the key there is a little number 1 or 2, this tell you whether its a code 1 or 2 cars.

Being a mk2 though im pretty sure it will be a code 2. Yes you have to have them cut and programmed by fiat.

bout 100 quid from fiat sorry to be the bearer of bad news...Mk2 is def CODE 2 fiat only just make sure you take all current keys with u as well when you get it done otherwise the current ones will not work...

could be cuz mines a mark 1 they make em for that. hope the key aint to expensive x

mk1 is only CODE 1 i was responding to OP which is Mk2 and therefore CODE 2, CODe 1 is much cheaper to do and there are many tricks some of the above links would work with the CODE 1 without going to fiat....

urgh - we only got one key with our car and will soon need to get another cut. sounds great fun...not

Dawader, I suggest noting down the various different prices you've seen on here with extra info like remote, codes etc then at least you have something to compare to when you go to get it. Unfortunately with these kind of things you're often stuck with a dealer as your only choice so will be helpful if you have more than 1 fiat dealer locally to compare prices/barter with.

Good luck, and pls let us know how much you end up spending if you don't mind sharing the info!

Thanks for all the replies... I do have mk2 code, thanks for the tip for checking that Mdeko.
Going to mull it over for a while as it is a lot of money for a spare key on a car that is worth about £2,000.

Firebug, I will share the final costs if I decide to go ahead with it... looks like its run the risk or fork out £160!
I've rung three dealers in the South West / South area and the one nearest to me fortunately is the cheapest but that's still £160 inc VAT for a remote key.

I'll keep you posted, because I'm not sure about you but its good to know this type of info for future reference.

Back