Technical How much power does the radio use?

Currently reading:
Technical How much power does the radio use?

BCD

Today, I was sat in a car park waiting for someone when my mind started to wander.

I had the radio on, but the ignition was off. How long would it take to flatten the battery doing this? I guess it's ok in short bursts, but if I were to do it for, say, two hours.......?

No need to worry about it flattening your battery if left on, it turns it self off after about 15 minutes, well mine does in the 100hp.

My BMW 3 Series cuts power after 30mins - as did my old Citroen C8. Was frustrating at times as you'd have to re-start to re-set the timer. However, prefer this to a flat battery any day!!

No need to worry about it flattening your battery if left on, it turns it self off after about 15 minutes, well mine does in the 100hp.

There is a timer you can set for 20minutes. Think there is an option to turn the timer off so the radio stays on. IIRC.

It's in the options I believe.

Last edited:
The radio doesn't use much power. Would most likely be okay if it was on all day really.

Would easily be okay for two hours.

:yeahthat: I've sat in loads of different cars for hours at a time with the CD / Tape player blasting out, no effect/problem with starting after(y)

Should be fine for a long time.

Annoyingly I've found the maximum the Panda radio will stay on for is 20 minutes at a time, whereas all my previous cars had a 1 hour timer. Clearly the Blaupunkt designers have never had to sit in a car park waiting for their other half to "just nip into the shop" ;)

Chris

There is a timer you can set for 20minutes. Think there is an option to turn the timer off so the radio stays on. IIRC.

It's in the options I believe.
Not quite: you're right in saying in the radio's menu you can select 'ignition timer'. The options are 'off' or '20 minutes'.

If you choose 'off', the radio will go off as soon as you turn the key to off. If you set '20 mins', the radio will stay on for 20 mins after you take the out, unless you turn the radio off manually. Whatever it's set to, if you turn the radio on without the key turned in the ignition, the radio automatically goes off 20mins later.

Pete

Last edited:
when i got my car it was set to '20mins' but i found it very annoying to have to turn it off manually everytime I got home/to work. So I changed it to 'off', which now means if I need the radio on afterward (the shopping scenario above :rolleyes:) then I just press the on button and get 20mins listening.

Back