Technical How many cats?

Currently reading:
Technical How many cats?

BloB3rt

After a little frustration i have found my way to the root of my problem. The Catalytic converter is clogged. It may have broken up aswel and is causing more restriction in the pipes.

I haven't managed to get my hands on a Haynes manual yet so can anyone tell me if there is 1 or 2 cats in the system?
From what i can gather there is one at the front of the engine and a smaller one in the pipe line under the car?

Bargain hunt time and get it fitted myself. (y)
Thanks

You won't find a Haynes manual, they don't do one.

What engine do have petrol? Diesel? Engine size? Year?

:eek: Damn sorry
Its a 56plate 1.4 8v active sport GP.

You never know i could take the pipes of and find a cat of the fluffy variety in there! :D
Save me some trouble if it is, pull it out and I'll be off !

Last edited:
If memory serves me right it should have only one cat. The maniverter type (catalyst is in the engine bay, on manifold) then a straight pipe with a flex in to the backbox

(y) Thanks that sounds right now u mention it.

One more question: The 1.2 8v cat will also fit, they are both the same?

Thanks

They might look similar but don't think they are the same

Ok, I am not sure myself now :confused:
I don't know if i can post links on this forum but have a look at this HERE

Seems to be described as fitting both.
Cheers!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The part number is BM91515H
which seems to display both 1.2 and 1.4 8v models on a Google search and also found THIS :)

This may not just be a Cat problem :confused:

Background: Car went in with following problems - Car revs bouncing at idle and stalling at idle, Jerking (like kangaroo) under load in any rev range, and losing power at times.
- Changed manifold air map senor (the rev bouncing stopped car drove fine)

Engine light came back 1 day later, took it back and was told its the Cat sensor, its probably a bit blocked but the car is driving fine so no rush to fix yet but will need doing.

3 days later the engine light was back and i was getting all the same symptoms expect the rev bouncing. Back into the garage.

Update: been told it was the cat sensor flagging up again (hence starting this thread) and the guy said he took the top sensor out (so the pipe can breathe) and it ran much better so i sent a family member to pick it up for me as i am working. ( he didn't charge me again :) only for sensor change first time)
They have since said it was not jerking on the way home but the car is still stalling at idle (stopping at lights) and it is lacking power at times with there foot down.

Before i spend money on a Cat would having the sensor out cause any of this? bear in mind the sensor was in and these 2 problems where still happening BUT the cat is likely to be clogged (if the jerking has stopped). :bang:

Thanks

Back