General How Many Barchettas Were Made?

Currently reading:
General How Many Barchettas Were Made?

According to the faq production stopped in May 2002 at number 55400 but thats production vehicles. There will be a load of extras off the production line used for pre-production testing, crash testing, demo's etc. So the real number could be around 56,000 as Fiat are notorious for not keeping accurate production records.

Last edited:
Saw some in France, more in Germany and a load of them in Poland this summer, so mostly Central Europe?

In comparison to everywhere else, I saw loads in Germany. When I say loads probably about 7 or 8 but that's loads over the space of a day for the B.

I saw very few in Italy and one in France. Two in Holland and one in Switzerland. Belgium......nil points

Can easily believe that 60k were made though. that's about 20 times the amount of new Pandas that have rolled off the production line so far. Have to remember it wont be a main car for a lot of people as well.

Half of them have been destroyed or abandoned.We have to ask Henk & Ria from barchettaparts how many B's they dismantled till now.

as far as i know the majority of the b's are in Germany. Here in Greece there must be arround 100-150 total.

www.barchetta-lexikon.de gives a figure of 57,521 and says roughly half of them went to Germany. It also says (in the article about the Mk2) that 1897 of all barchettas were Mk2s, which equates to 3.3% of total production.

Regards
Giorgio

www.barchetta-lexikon.de gives a figure of 57,521 and says roughly half of them went to Germany. It also says (in the article about the Mk2) that 1897 of all barchettas were Mk2s, which equates to 3.3% of total production.

Regards
Giorgio

Thats interesting Giorgio. Initially, I thought the figure sounded high but I suppose, compared with other marques, it is probably small. Does anyone know of any other car with similar production numbers?

Steve

The July '07 Classic and Sportscar which did a convertible showdown article featuring the b... stated that circa 57000 were made. Don't know where they got their figures from though...

Talking of that article I read it every night for two months and then went to dtr to buy my current b. I had been b-less for 2 and a bit years. It was the best move I have ever made!

Our 'B' has a production date of 07/2004, chassis number of 000572nn (where nn > 50) and delivery date of Mar 2005. So if 57,521 is correct then there are around a further 250 of the little 'B's out there older than ours.

I'm also thinking that being a manual production line then the cars were probably made in batches for their destination countries. So the UK cars would I guess have been made in small batches (especially as we need MPH, RH Drive Lights etc.) This could all possibly be proved by a long nights on ePER looking up by chassis number and seeing if there are trends. e.g. 25 for UK, 5 red, 5 green, 5 yellow, 5 silver, 5 pink :)

Just done a little ePER research

First chassis number listed is 00000099, Prod.01/95. However there is no vehicle or engine number listed.

Chassis 00000156 dos not exist!

Last chassis number is 00057607, Prod. 11/04, Vehicle number 57391

Also I note that chassis number and vehicle number and month of production seem to be a little erratic. e.g. chassis number 00000162 was vehicle number 5, Prod.06/95. Chassis numbers 99 to 153 had no vehicle or engine numbers and were all the same specification and colour.

Will take a little more effort to analyse me thinks.

Fiat are well known for their seriel numbers not totting up to vehicles. Its why the Romans developed open toed sandals..easier to count over 5.

Now zen if this wos a German machine ve would ensure all ze chassis numbers and serial matched..or 3 weeks in ze cooler.

I also understand that UK police and prison screws have the same issue with numbers which is why they go around in pairs..one reads and writes while the other keeps an eye on the dangerous intellectual....

Last edited:

Regards
Giorgio

Due to the relatively small number of Mk2's does this mean that they will become more sought after as a classic than the Mk1?

Regards
Graham

I wouldn't expect them to increase in price because they are left hand drive, don't make the same mistake a friend did; he bought an X1/9 because they were expected to be a future classic, instead of it being worth the 8k they quoted it is now worth 2k.

Back