General How Long Will You Keep Your Panda?

Currently reading:
General How Long Will You Keep Your Panda?

I'm glad I amaze you ;) I never said a car will be reliable because it has a warranty but that I need a reliable day-to-day car. A car backed by a warranty will mean any repairs will be carried out FOC at a main dealer and I'll have a courtesy car for the duration. I would wager than most new cars are more reliable than 3+ year old ones however, or manufacturers would be offering longer warranties on their cars....

That has happened! The Bravo has a 5 year warranty, and all Hyundais have a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty IIRC.

The cost of a few repairs is nothing compared to the cost of replacing a 3 year old car, you must loose £1000+/year for the first 3 years on depreciation alone. At 3-5 years you shouldn't need to replace anything other than consumable parts, although even then it depends on mileage and how it has been driven.

Really are you serious?

You don't need to run engines in nowadays anyway, its practically a non-issue. It is nice when you drive away in your brand new car.

If you do your maths it need not cost you that much at all. My essential car user allowance and mileage covers at least half the cost.

Everybody seems to think that new engines are tight when new, particularly Fiat ones. The fuel consumption even seems to improve after a few thousand miles. You could argue that you can still drive them normally, but they are still being run in and, if what people say is true, they don't perform as well as a run-in car.

My maths doesn't add up. My Seicento cost me £2100 (3.5 years old), and I have had it for over 5 years now. It probably works out to be approx £500/year on depreciation repairs, consumables and servicing. A new car would probably loose about half its value (approx £3000 for a similarly priced car) within 3 years. I'm guessing that your leasing it or something, but I can't imagine that will be much cheaper.

The only problems we've had are to do with increasing service costs and, eventually, bodywork issues. My experience is that cars generally just get to the point where the labour cost to keep them on the road becomes uneconomic and it's time to move on.

That's where DIY servicing and repairs helps :D

I service, and repair (where possible) my car and it costs me very little. I couldn't do that with a brand new car with a warranty though :(

At 3-5 years you shouldn't need to replace anything other than consumable parts, although even then it depends on mileage and how it has been driven.

That's a very ideal way of looking at things. The big problem is that at 3 years you're unlikely to know what kind of life it's had and even very well looked after and frequently serviced cars can have problems, especially modern cars with lots of cheaply made sensors. Personally, I'd rather have the backup of a warranty but if you want to drive around in an old car then be my guest :p

Chris

I've never really understood why people think older cars suddenly fail. Statistically it may be that problems increase with age, however the overall number of problems still seems to be very low if you keep a car serviced. We have been running an ageing couple of cars for a number of years, as do a number of family members, and none of us have ever been left stranded or unable to get to where we wanted.

The only problems we've had are to do with increasing service costs and, eventually, bodywork issues. My experience is that cars generally just get to the point where the labour cost to keep them on the road becomes uneconomic and it's time to move on.

The thing that annoys me about old cars, is spending my weekends/evenings having to fix them and sort out issues on them. I just prefer the idea of having a new car that i don't have to worry about.

The cost of a few repairs is nothing compared to the cost of replacing a 3 year old car, you must loose £1000+/year for the first 3 years on depreciation alone. At 3-5 years you shouldn't need to replace anything other than consumable parts, although even then it depends on mileage and how it has been driven.

Running a car costs you money, there is no getting away from that. Half of my costs are covered by work, so when i add it all up, it makes perfect sense to run a new car.

I know it will depreciate, I expect it to. I actually don't mind though because in 3 years time, I will have a 3K deposit to go towards something nicer and will start to move my way up the car ladder.

I'd rather do it myself. I've only taken it to mechanics a few times, and it has cost me far too much time and money because my FIAT dealer was incompetant (they've gone bust now). Taking a new car for a service or warranty work would be a very stressful experience for me :(

But warranty work will cost you nothing. Servicing is normally a set price.

If there is one thing i hate, its working in the rain late into the night to try and get your car sorted so that you can get to work the next day. I've done that for years, seriously CBA with it now. We've always done our own servicing, engine rebuilds, conversions, geometry setups and the like. Whilst thats fine for our weekend car I really can't be doing with it when i have to have a car that works in order to do my job.

If there is one thing i hate, its working in the rain late into the night to try and get your car sorted so that you can get to work the next day. I've done that for years, seriously CBA with it now. We've always done our own servicing, engine rebuilds, conversions, geometry setups and the like. Whilst thats fine for our weekend car I really can't be doing with it when i have to have a car that works in order to do my job.

I agree with all that, however I would say that none of our older cars have required much in the way of interim work between services. Therefore for me it has come down to how much it costs at each service as the car gets older. I think a lot depends on how much you value the new car feeling, because I wouldn't say its been much more additional hassle factor running an older one. In fact for me it is far easier to drop the keys round to my neighbour who runs a good independent garage and let him sort it out then it is for me to go to a dealership in working hours.

Everybody seems to think that new engines are tight when new, particularly Fiat ones. The fuel consumption even seems to improve after a few thousand miles. You could argue that you can still drive them normally, but they are still being run in and, if what people say is true, they don't perform as well as a run-in car.

My maths doesn't add up. My Seicento cost me £2100 (3.5 years old), and I have had it for over 5 years now. It probably works out to be approx £500/year on depreciation repairs, consumables and servicing. A new car would probably loose about half its value (approx £3000 for a similarly priced car) within 3 years. I'm guessing that your leasing it or something, but I can't imagine that will be much cheaper.

Im with you there - have had my seicento from new in early 2002 (well, pre-reg), and have had very little problems...in fact, no problems other than standard wear and tear failures...exhuast, battery, tyres blah blah - has worked out extremely good value. if i had got rid of it after 3 years i would be well out of pocket.

ok now i admit i am tempted by either the swift sport or the upcoming 500 abarth - but bearing in mind how reliable the sei still is it does make me think twice about whether to hold it for yet another couple of years!

admittedly, it does help being the only owner, driving it carefully, servicing it well, and the v low mileage (28k).... against that, i am aware that now its nearly 7 years old things will start to fail on a more substantial and expensive level simply as a result of its age.

tricky decisions though when you have an older, reliable car that you enjoy driving - and the sei is still fantastic fan to throw around :)

Last edited:

"Warranty will cost you nothing" :ROFLMAO:. That's what I thought, I won't go into the details, but my fuel tank replacement took over 8 months, lots of time off work, and a good few £ of parts they were blaming (OK if the car was under warranty then the extra parts wouldn't have cost as much).

I've been very lucky with the rain, but cold nights are pretty horrible :(. I've got a garage now, and breakdown cover (which can tow my car home) so it shouldn't be too bad.

gib1970, the low mileage of your nearly 7 year old Seicento will now start to work against its reliability rather than in favour.
At that sort of mileage, internal engine and gearbox parts will hve been susceptible to condensation and corrosion.
I remember my neighbours very low mileage Mitsubishi ending up worth nothing as the distributor failed and was not economical to repair.
I would suggest now is the time to sell your Seicento. Popular with young drivers due to cheap insurance and good economy, it still has some value as a private sale.
Then you can buy one of the earlier Pandas that are around, used, at low prices.

"Warranty will cost you nothing" :ROFLMAO:. That's what I thought, I won't go into the details, but my fuel tank replacement took over 8 months, lots of time off work, and a good few £ of parts they were blaming (OK if the car was under warranty then the extra parts wouldn't have cost as much).

Well i guess a sample of one, provides great external validity. (n)

Look if you want to drive around in a ten year old banger, thats cool. I've been there done that and got the t-shirt. I used to drive a 20 year old MR2 as my daily driver and tbh it was pretty good once i'd fixed everything. But add it all up and generally a new car ought to be relatively trouble free. Mine certainly has been and i just love not having to worry about it. All i do is check the oil every two months (it never moves) and put a bit of washer fluid in occasionally.

I've maintained, rebuilt cars, restored cars, tuned cars, modified cars for 20 years. I just don't want the hassle for my work car anymore.

I've been very lucky with the rain, but cold nights are pretty horrible :(. I've got a garage now, and breakdown cover (which can tow my car home) so it shouldn't be too bad.

That's absolutely nothing to do with warranty, that was a safety recall.

Cinquecentos and most Seicentos were all recalled and to be honest, the recall wasn't handled well for some.

Last edited:
I've had my 04 panda for 2 and a half years now. Am selling it in September to go to university as I can't afford to keep paying the finance on it and live away at university. By then it will be 4 and a half years old so a good time to move on.

Besides when I qualify in 2011 there should be a few 100hp's in the second hand car market so all mine mwahaha :p

Ugly Duckling, we have an 11 year old Cinquecento in our garage, kept it for my son when my daughter got a Panda but he doesn't seem interested in learning to drive.
When my daughter bought it about 5 or 6 years ago I found out about the petrol tank recall. Spoke to the local dealer and found that the tank had not been repaced. They promised to order a tank and do the job but nothing ever happened. To be honest, I haven't bothered much because the tank is not corroded. In addition, the exhaust has to be removed to replace the tank and, as you pointed out, we could end up paying more than the car's now worth in other parts for the work to be done.
It does seem that this recall was not handled at all well.

Back